Corniche Vs Saloon Carburettors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Corniche Vs Saloon Carburettors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bradley van Ree
Experienced User
Username: bradbase

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2013 - 04:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello,

I've recently driven an early ~1970s Corniche and it appears to have different "get-up-and-go" to my 1972 T. I don't know if the story is accurate, however, I understand the Corniche examples have slightly different carburettor configuration. Bigger needles / longer needles or something.

So, with the above considerations, I'm now interested in understanding the carburettor configuration differences between Corniche and Saloon models if any exist.

As a supplementary question, is it as simple as re-configuring the carburettor (and re-tuning) to get different performance?

Of course it is understood altering the fuel going in it means greater petrol consumption.

I'd like to keep the discussion as simple as possible as I'm new to understanding how carburettors work and I'm looking to understand the difference and complexity without a detailed how-to (at this stage)

Thanks

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2013 - 05:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it only appears to have more get up and go, weaken the accelerator spring.

Have you tried them side by side yet, or timed them.

I haven't looked at parts books but the Corniche did get a big bore exhaust system

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2013 - 06:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did the Corniche get the Solex, or was that only the Camargue?

Jeff.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 614
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2013 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Corniche did get the Solex carb, but not until chassis numbers starting at 30003, much later than the example referred to earlier.

They kept them longer than I had thought, as the parts manual refers to a later version of Solex on the Corniche from chassis number 50003, appearing to transition to a single example of fuel injection at 50271 then all with fuel injection after 50386, if I'm reading correctly.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2013 - 08:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul - the pre-emission control Corniches did come with a bigger exhaust system as standard.

If my memory is right, it was 2.25 inch diameter instead of 2 inch. This was certainly the case with DRH14434 which was a 1973 UK-delivered car. It also had the 9:1 high compression engine and had a surprising turn of speed when appropriately endowed with high octane fuel and advanced timing... I also tweaked the T400 to eliminate the RRMC specified slow clutch engagement during gear changes to eliminate the reduced service life of the transmission clutch plates as a result of the inbuilt slippage. OK - it no longer had the traditional R-R imperceptible gear changes but I liked the positive engagement anyway [I can provide the details of this tweak on request if anyone is interested].

I do not know if the exhaust system changed with the introduction of emission controls on later models.

Brian - it is my understanding the later Corniches destined for California after the introduction of their one-off emission standards were fitted with the Solex carburettors until the forthcoming fuel injection system was certified. As always, I will be happy to be corrected by others with better information than myself.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Sunday, 01 September, 2013 - 04:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Solex 4 barrel carb intrigues me. Apart from the workshop manual are there other writings on the instrument? My introduction was on a 1986 Turbo which used the RR special - a Solex in a box! This car which had had a chequered career and flooded more quickly than an onion peelers eyes!

I had to drive the thing a matter of miles and noticed the performance falling off gradually. With my prayer beads in my left hand I managed to get to the car's work base - just. Having moved a couple of cars from the underground garage, the weeping B rolled into a corner with a sigh of relief from me. For those that have not seen one of these engines, the central feature is a black enamelled camp oven sitting on top of the inlet manifold - adorned by a large 'B'!!!!!

I removed the traditional bolt stitching and lifted the lid. There was the legendary Solex squatting in literally a pool of petrol about half an inch deep! The fumes alone would have been enough to keep the car going. There is provision for varying the fuel pressure which comes from a rotary pump similar I gather to the later fuel injected cars. That problem was eventually overcome with a new float and I think a needle. The float seat was practically integral with the body of the carburettor.

Apparently, so many of these instryments were permanently buggered by overtightening the mounting flange bolts, the dame no t being repairable. But old hands recall that in their day one could install one of these instruments straight from the box to the car and not even adjust it!

My test vehicle (?) now goes like the clappers but stills consumes fuel with a vengeance. In the absence of any other ideas I have sent the owner to the UK to talk to one of the Gods there!

Apparently none of these cars were 'officially' imported into this country. The other quirk quietly mentioned was an occasional broken crankshaft!!! Any more info would be great.