RR363 on sale this week at Opie Oils Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » RR363 on sale this week at Opie Oils « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, 02 July, 2013 - 07:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For anyone in the UK/EU area. £9.83/lt (with the WEEKLYDEAL voucher code), which seemed pretty good.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 504
Posted on Wednesday, 03 July, 2013 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's an absolute steal compared to the lowest prices on these shores!! (Currently $24.95(£15.82)/lt at my lowest priced source.)

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, 03 July, 2013 - 03:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I eventually return to the UK/Europe (assuming Nigel hasn't taken the UK out of the EU by then) one of the great joys will be CHEAP ROLLS ROYCE PARTS!!!! Not so sure about gas prices though.

Geoff.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 505
Posted on Wednesday, 03 July, 2013 - 03:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Perhaps you meant to say, "One of the great joys will be common availability of Rolls-Royce parts, some of which will be reasonably priced." ;-)

Brian, who's never found many truly inexpensive RR parts, even considering place of origin and ignoring shipping cost

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, 03 July, 2013 - 04:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian

Yes, I agree with your correction, but for parts that have to be bought in from the UK, shipping costs and poor exchange rates really do double the price of parts for owners in the US and Australia.

It occurs to me that in relative terms a car of the Silver Shadow vintage is really quite inexpensive to maintain. Compare this for example with a 15 year old Mercedes or Jaguar classic, where you have to worry about the cost of ABS modulators, ecu's etc. It will be interesting to see how the classic car market evolves once the maintainence costs start to rocket due to the increased sophistication of the parts. Will anyone in 2040 be taking on a 2010 model Phantom for instance.

Geoff.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 507
Posted on Wednesday, 03 July, 2013 - 05:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

The question you ask, rhetorically, has been asked by many. My unqualified answer, which is contrarian, is, "Of course they will!!"

Who would ever have thought that most antique vehicles would ever have been being bothered to be maintained up to 100 years later? There is already an infant, and pretty much "mom and pop" at this juncture, cottage industry in ECU and other electronic component rehabilitation. As this becomes the primary population of "old cars," which is rapidly happening, there will only be more demand from the less-than-reasonable-reasons-for-keeping-it-alive collector communities. Right now most cars that are heavily electronic from the beginning of that era are in their "oh, that's just an old, useless car - scrap it" period.

I imagine some of the ECUs of today will be almost as quaint in 2040 (if not long before) as our low coolant amplifiers are now to us.

Brian