Shadow bonnet adjustment Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Shadow bonnet adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, 02 July, 2013 - 02:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone have any tips on adjusting the boot lid so that it sits straight. My lock stopped locking and the left side of the boot is higher and further back than the right.

So far I have:
1 - read the manual
2 - taken the lock apart, reassembled and tightened everthing.
3 - loosened the six bolts holding the lid to the hinge - not a lot of room for adjusting there.
4 - removed the trim and found a bolt on the hinge with 2 nuts.

Question - do I adjust these 2 bolts to get the alignment?

Naturally I'm in Sydney with only the basic travelling toolkit of ' sockets, screwdrivers and spanners.

Kevin Lagden
Frequent User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, 02 July, 2013 - 04:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had a similar issue with mine a while ago, so I took the locking mechanism apart and found two bolts had just come off, put them back on moved the retaining bar that sits on the floor of the boot and all is OK.
Otherwise take it around to John Vawser in Alexandria, Im sure he could fix it for you

richard george yeaman
Frequent User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, 02 July, 2013 - 06:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff
Would it be possible that you had a large object in you boot that could have bent one of your hinges just a thought.

Richard.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, 02 July, 2013 - 09:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No large object that I know of but anything is possible. I'm in Marrickville so Alexandria looks like the best solition but it would be be cheaper if I could do it myself. It's useful to know also to be able to work on the rear suspension.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 418
Posted on Wednesday, 03 July, 2013 - 03:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Still having no joy with straightening the boot. The manual says to set clearances - should one do this with little wooden wedges?

The adjustment screws dont seem to make much difference. The left is still too high while the right rests on the body lip above the bumper valance.

I may have to drive home with the bootlid unlocked as I don't seem to have the readies for Vawsers.

Is this something that just requires trial and error/experience or is there something I'm just not understanding?

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, 03 July, 2013 - 04:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Further investigation reveals that one of the torsion bars has come loose in the right hand hinge. This is the one with the adjustment screw on the left.

I assume this requires removing the boot lid to remove the hinge to fix.

Question: are these things normally fixable or am I up for a new hinge?

Michael Hicks
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, 07 July, 2013 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi i am having problem with keeping the boot up
as the torsion bars need adjusting can any body help with how to do this
Thanks Michael

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 420
Posted on Tuesday, 09 July, 2013 - 06:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael - that was how my problem first began to manifest itself. I'll be removing the boot over the next week to fix my problem and see how it all works. I'll keep you posted.

Michael Hicks
Prolific User

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, 09 July, 2013 - 07:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I Have been looking at my Hinge today and phone to get a price £350. each
so if I get time I am going to remove them and retention them will let you know what hapens
Michael

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Wednesday, 10 July, 2013 - 06:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There should be tension adjusting bolts. By the hinge - bolt head at the front of the car and thread pointing backwards.

Did it happen suddenly?

If the hinge has been bent then it will be almost impossible to get right again.

There are shims under the hinges where they screw to the lid as well.

If you do need a used set - I can supply for a lot less than that.

Michael Hicks
Prolific User

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, 10 July, 2013 - 07:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

well removed one off the hinge and found that it had cracked the weld and bent the plate look at photo

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, 10 July, 2013 - 08:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wonder if the actual hinge arm isn't bent if that is repairable - or for that matter worth the bother if replacement hinges are available. Thanks for the photo Michael, now I know what to look for.