Rear hubs bearings Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Rear hubs bearings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

philippo_signore@baxter.com
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 91.177.247.11
Posted on Saturday, 29 June, 2013 - 05:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear sirs,

Do anyone know where I can find a method and the special tools to replace the rear hubs bearings for my Silver Shadow 76?

Many thanks

(Message approved by david_gore)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Saturday, 29 June, 2013 - 08:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In my cupboardy :-)

Where are you? Do you want to rent or buy?

More importantly, are you somewhere lovely and warm and could do with somebody doing them for you ;-)

BTW.
it's odd for them to go unless there is another problem to.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Saturday, 29 June, 2013 - 09:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Philippo,

Unfortunately, you are contemplating one of the most difficult jobs on a Shadow that is not related to an engine overhaul due to the necessity to remove the drive yoke from the axle half-shaft. This requires either a large hydraulic press or the use of a custom-made puller.

Have a look at the following thread and the links detailed in the thread for more information:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/11377.html

Other than the separation of the yoke and half shaft and the need for a 1000 ft-lb torque wrench, the job is relatively straight forward. Depending on your experience, availability of tools and level of confidence in DIY maintenance, you may find this is a job best left to a professional.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2854
Posted on Saturday, 29 June, 2013 - 08:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nasty job that one, as David describes. SZ Turbos are a dream by comparison as they have splined flanges instead of those horrible Woodruff keys and the tapered fits of SY cars and non-Turbos before 1990. Splined systems are tightened to less than one tenth of the keyed ones, and no puller is required,

However, it is just a case of having huge tools and leverage to remove that flange. Count on up to 2,000 lb-ft to undo the retaining nut, and retighten it to 800. The rest is very simple.

RT.

gordon le feuvre
Experienced User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, 30 June, 2013 - 06:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anyone ever tried drilling actual hub and adding grease nipple. I realise the problem is you never know how much is in there. Jaguar used to have grease nipple on front hubs. It just seems
such a load of work to remove/strip hubs just to repack, but there must be more like my '73 Corniche that I KNOW they have never been off?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Sunday, 30 June, 2013 - 09:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gordon,

My Corniche was the same vintage as yours - my problem was the dust seals in the hub carrier were the old felt type and not the modern lip seal. This resulted in salty water from road de-icing getting into the hub carrier during the car's early life in Yorkshire corroding the yoke/half shaft taper and washing the grease out of the wheel bearings leading to their ultimate failure. The taper corrosion was the reason for the difficulty in separating them.

There is a kit from R-R that converts the felt seal set-up to a lip seal and I suggest you should obtain and install these on your car before you go through my experience.

P.S. Richard is correct about the torque needed to remove the lock-nut, I had to use a 2 metre extension bar on a 1 inch socket to get enough torque to crack the nut free.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Sunday, 30 June, 2013 - 01:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Er, you might like to look at Tee One Topics Issue 63 page 896 and Issue 94 page1270.

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 91.177.247.11
Posted on Sunday, 30 June, 2013 - 06:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear sirs,

Millions of thanks for your precious informations.
I am convince that this job will be very difficult to do, but i said just the same when i purchased my old very rusty lady...
I am living in Belgium where weather is like in UK...Lot of humidity..rain..never very warm..never very cold..we are in summer and the temp is about 13°Celcius and 16° Celcius..A Nightmare..
My old lady is a 1976 with Chassis number SRH 25477..Perhaps other Belgian people are reading this message..Please send me an e-mail to meet us in Belgium and share our experience on those wonderfull cars...

Ciao ciao

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 487
Posted on Sunday, 30 June, 2013 - 09:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Never very cold in Belgium? What part do you live in?

I visit Belgium several times a year and can attest to how cold it can get over there. Colder than Yorkshire where I live and even colder than Scotland which I've also visited at times! In the UK we can't rely on temperatures low enough to guarantee being able to erect real ice skating rinks in all city centers like you do. On one occasion I got back to the P&O cruise ship/ferry and pressed the button to put the radio aerial down. For a moment I thought that it had frozen in position. Then the thick sheath of ice crumbled away to reveal the aerial rapidly withdrawing as normal.

Back in '07 I visited Brugges in The Old Girl for the day just before Christmas and came away with a severe case of hypothermia. Spent all of the Christmas and new year (2 full weeks) in the respiratory ward of my local major hospital - the first 36 hours in an induced coma as I wasn't expected to survive the septicaemia that had followed.

It hasn't stopped me traveling to Belgium since then, but now I make certain that I'm dressed much more warmly in Winter than I would do if I were back home in Blighty.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Sunday, 30 June, 2013 - 09:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan - I guess you came back very Flemish :-) . . . BTW how's that job application with the Belgium tourist board going?

Philippo - Not sounding tempting enough for a working holiday :-)

What problem are you having with your hubs? If both the discs and bearings are bad - It might work out cheaper (even with shipping) to get an exchange hub with the new disc, seals and bearings already fitted.

About Ā£350 (+vat & shipping) assuming yours is overhaulable and isn't completely knackered.

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.130.94.239
Posted on Monday, 01 July, 2013 - 02:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Jan,

indeed, we have never had -45°C like in Russia.
In a normal winter we get at least -10°c.. but at this moment in Moskow, they have +35°C...very rare to us..
So,i am french spoker but also Flemisch,German and Italian..

So, if somebody interested for exchanges!!!no problem.
Best of regards
Philippo