Recommended fluid for SY-I power stee... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Recommended fluid for SY-I power steering box. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, 23 June, 2013 - 03:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What fluid should I use to flush and re-fill the power steering on an SY-I (SRX18501). I have searched the forum and seen recommendations for LHM in the SY-II and SZ series. Does this hold true for the earlier SY-I cars with the power steering box.

Geoff

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Sunday, 23 June, 2013 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,

The specified fluid for the power steering is Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid.

See Chapter D of TSD2476 for all lubricant specifications.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, 24 June, 2013 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Of course, you can't find Dexron (as in original, with no number after it) transmission fluid anymore.

The latest Dexron spec from GM is Dexron VI, which is backward compatible in transmission applications with all prior Dexron formulations. However, it is not backward compatible for power steering applications:

Dexron VI Bottle Label

While GM no longer licenses Dexron-III, the stuff is still made to that spec by many vendors. You most often find it on the shelf as Dex/Merc, which conforms to both Dexron and Mercron specs. Up through Dexron-III the petroleum base was conventional, with the jump to Dexron VI it is now synthetic.

In any case, just be sure you don't jump to the latest spec for Dexron (or at least if you go by what GM says).

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, 24 June, 2013 - 02:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the info. I had read section D but was unsure of the substitute for the original Dexron. I've just checked the autozone website and they supply Valvoline Dexron III.

I was shocked to see the original Dexron contained Whale oil until the US banned it's import in their endangered species act.

Geoff

John Grieve
New User
Username: john116

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 24 June, 2013 - 07:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, allegedly the whale oil gave the transmission fluid very good, very smooth shifting properties. Was before my time though.