Removing ACV adapter fitting in situ ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Removing ACV adapter fitting in situ . . . « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 450
Posted on Friday, 21 June, 2013 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now it's back to correcting one of the last issues with SRH33576 before I start searching for a new custodian for her.

When I rebuilt the ACVs and accumulators I did not realize that the washer between the metal adapter fitting and the valve body was a crush washer. As a result, I now have both systems leaking from that spot (or at least that's how it appears).

I would really, if it's at all possible and feasible, like to avoid taking the entire accumulator/ACV assembly out of the car again to remedy this situation. It would seem to be possible to separate the line from the pump to the adapter from said adapter, then remove the adapter itself from the ACV to replace the crush washer. I used anti-seize on the threads when I put this stuff back together and it's not been very long since it all went back together.

Has anyone ever done this and, if so, do you have any tips on what to do or to avoid doing to accomplish this?

Brian
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 455
Posted on Saturday, 22 June, 2013 - 06:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, this proved to be a much easier task, at least on the left side, which has much tighter access than the right, than I ever would have expected.

It does, of course, involve a small shower of fluid, probably the amount in the pipe between the pump and the ACV. It didn't seem to be enough to empty the whole reservoir for System 2, and the reservoir levels look to be the same as when I started.

This leads to the next question: Do I need to bleed any of the system once things are back together again and the car is running? I would think not, since the accumulator is self-bleeding and the only part of the system that's been disturbed is "upstream" of the accumulator. It's always worth checking out whether my memories and presumptions hold up against the wisdom and experience of the cohort.

Brian