Door Lock Solenoids: Theoretical Diagram Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Door Lock Solenoids: Theoretical Diagram « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
New User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 13 June, 2013 - 08:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

I can't find any reference to the door lock solenoids anywhere on the theoretical wiring diagram for a 1971 Silver Shadow. Any advice?

I broke the Bakelite toggle on the door lock switch and while replacing it, I pushed BOTH lock and unlock simultaneously. (The lesson there is disconnect the battery.) It blew a fuse which among other things regulated the fuel door, I replaced that fuse wire, and the fuel door now works but the door lock are still unresponsive. I suspect a fuse further upstream and I hope the wiring diagrams will point it out, but I can't find the door lock solenoids on the diagram!

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, 13 June, 2013 - 08:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On the fuse board there's a brown bakelite box with a small red button on it. Press the button.

It's a circuit breaker called an 'otter switch'. There's a reference in the handbook diagram: it does the door locks and a couple of other things I can't quite remember this morning.

Incidentally there's another one at the back of the cubby hole beneath the glove box (at the top) which does the same for the windows.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2836
Posted on Thursday, 13 June, 2013 - 02:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You will find the diagrammes in the Technical Library. A suitable page for you is:

www.rrtechnical.info/temp/1556.pdf

By the way, on some cars the central locking cutout is located in the open map compartment under the glovebox, and on others it is on the fuseboard. This change occurred in 1971.

RT.

Chris Miller
New User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 18 June, 2013 - 02:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeffrey and Richard,

The red button on the fuse panel had no effect, but the red button under the cubby hole was magic.

Where can I find a diagram of the "otter switch"?

Thanks for the help,

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 410
Posted on Tuesday, 18 June, 2013 - 09:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/15.pdf
(page 96 at the top shows it in the theoretical diagram as C.D.L. cutout)I haven't come across it in the practical diagrams but it may be there.

It basically consists of a piece of sprung wire held by a piece of sprung steel against a contact; when it overheats it breaks contact and the button re-sets it.

Incidentally the one on the fuse board is also the gearshift cutout. When working on the engine or under the car this should be levered out (use wood or plastic) in case you knock the gearlever (easy to do)and the car goes into gear with dangerous and or deadly results.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Tuesday, 18 June, 2013 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

by a piece of sprung steel

by a piece of *bimetallic* sprung steel

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 411
Posted on Tuesday, 18 June, 2013 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ahh - of course, it must be to work. Thanks Paul.