UR23445 Compliance Mount Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » UR23445 Compliance Mount « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2013 - 05:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,

The good news is that the new exhaust is on LRK37110 and she sounds *great*!! It also cost me less than I had expected and budgeted, which rarely happens.

However, there is always the great cosmic balance to deal with, and it's here this time, too. The shop that did the work stated that they could clearly see the front wheels shift back and forth within the wheel well when the car was being driven on or off of the lift. Their statement is that it needs new "upper strut rod bushings."

After being shown what the thing they were talking about is, I took this photo on SRH33576 of the same thing (indicated with the arrow):
UR23445 Compliance Mount

Based upon what I can fathom of the Illustrated Parts Manual, I am presuming this is part number UR23445, but want to be certain. See this shot from the IPM:
UR23445 Compliance Mount IPM

This leads to several question:

1. Am I correct in my part identification?

2. Would the symptom described by the shop be reasonably attributable to these having gotten hard, shrunken, or both?

3. Is this some dirt common part (possibly for another make/model of car) or should I dial up Bentley Zionsville, better known in these parts as Albers to get a Crewe-Original-Only part?

Brian

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2013 - 06:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian I have no idea , but may I ask the question is the rod adjustable, as it appears to have thread on it?. In other wards if the rod was tightened ie the nut against the bush was tightened will this do away with the play??
hk

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2013 - 07:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is the part. Wrong number. Luckily only £27 each. UR27000

If the rubber has torn away from the metal bush the rod goes through or the rubber is split, it will need changing.

Do not alter the length of the rod between front bush and the front washer.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2013 - 09:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

Seriously, do you have any idea what triggers Crewe (or what was Crewe, but is still today Bentley Motors) to change part numbers?

It's maddening to check the Illustrated Parts Manual repeatedly only to find that what's listed in there has been replaced by another number.

Also, I gather from your comment that the side that faces the rear of the car has its washer bonded to the rubber bushing. Is that correct, or are there two of these things per side? I'm really having difficulty envisioning what this part (or those parts) look like when they're not in situ and are fully visible.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2013 - 09:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hubert,

I'm guessing we have the answer to your question from Paul.

Also, if I'm reading him correctly, it appears that what used to be separate part number UR17445, the compliance mounting washer, has gone away.

It's interesting to me that the two compliance mounting washer part numbers, UR17304 and UR17445, appear to have "flip-flopped" their respective positions [at least in the parts manual] with the advent of the two-series cars.

Brian, who's never certain about anything as far as parts go until someone who's "been there, done that," recently can offer some guidance

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2013 - 09:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also, I gather from your comment that the side that faces the rear of the car has its washer bonded to the rubber bushing. Is that correct, or are there two of these things per side? I'm really having difficulty envisioning what this part (or those parts) look like when they're not in situ and are fully visible.

no the centre and the outside are bonded to metal. Washers are free.

Don't know if it will help. but they look like torque arm bushes with beefier metal and gaps in the rubber. 0:-)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2013 - 09:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Badly torn mounting.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2013 - 09:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yours looks like the metal has pulled through.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 407
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2013 - 09:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and to post another photo. Unfortunately, your verbal description doesn't help me since this is virgin territory for me.

I've already got a parts query in with Albers and should hear from them sometime in the near future.

This is another of those parts that I strongly suspect exists "for another purpose on another vehicle" but I don't have the expertise (nor, at this point in time, the energy) to do the necessary research on it to find said alternative.

Brian, who thinks $41.50 for a lump of rubber bonded to metal is pricey for what it is, but it still isn't "gasp inducing"

P.S. What's your feeling about the correctness of the diagnosis and suggested cure for same made by this shop? [It seems sensible, but I've learned that things are often "not as they seem" with these cars.]

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2013 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It will do that and from your description very likely. . Also look at the inner bush on part number UR19944 on your diagram.

On your photo, if you look between the washer and the rubber you have arrowed, there is something that looks shiny. Hard to tell but that looks like the inner metal tube pulled out of the metal.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 408
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2013 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

The photograph is from the car that's *not* having this issue, but I can see what you're referring to.

In this instance I'm following my own consistent advice, "Don't mess with a functioning system!"

Brian, who hates having to deal with two SY cars at once but who is, at times, very grateful to have another example to refer to

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, 06 June, 2013 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

Just as a follow-up, did you mean UR27000 or UR72000? I've found UR72000 at several of the "usual UK suppliers" but nothing under UR27000 for a compliance mount.

Brian