Exhaust System Materials & Experience... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Exhaust System Materials & Experiences « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 391
Posted on Friday, 24 May, 2013 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Recently, when inquiring about having the majority of the pipes on my exhaust system replaced, a shop that I know to be both very good and quite reputable suggested that aluminized steel was a very good alternative to stainless if price is an object (and that it's much better than mild steel, period).

In my case price is definitely an issue at this point in time. There are clearly several metal experts haunting these parts, so it seems that this is a good place to ask the specific question:

1. What are the pros and cons of an aluminized steel exhaust system?

and the more general questions:

1. What are the metal options currently and commonly available?

2. What are the pros and cons of said options?

3. What is your experience with whatever you've had installed on your car?

Brian, perpetually asking questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bobuk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.127.20
Posted on Monday, 27 May, 2013 - 06:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rust is the iron in steel trying to revert back to mother earth where it came from

If you are going to keep the car for a long time then Inox ( stainless) would be the best bet

However inox does tend to sound different from steel --not louder just different

With aluminse steel any nick in the coating will cause the rust to concentrate in that spot

(Message approved by david_gore)