Body Control Module Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Body Control Module « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 99.55.121.193
Posted on Tuesday, 30 April, 2013 - 08:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

Icarus failed to heed the warnings of his father, Master Craftsman, Daedalus, flew close to the sun, which melted his wax wings, fell into the sea and drowned. I have likewise decided to ignore the chorus of “Keep it original”, for a few reasons. It is too early to tell if this is a bad decision.

The main reason is that it was not original when I got it, so I can’t “Keep it original!”. A previous owner re-upholstered the interior with vinyl, which is cosmetically fine, but clearly not original. So, I seek a different standard; restore the corresponding level of luxury expressed by The Silver Shadow in 1971 and translate that to today. I will try to preserve, but re-purpose, the existing dashboard controls, so everything will look original.

To that end, I want electronics under the dashboard. I want to do things like, "If the A/C is on, close the windows." This requires logic, and 1971 has "Turn on; Turn off" logic only.

Delphi, Fujitsu, and Texas Instruments, among others make OEM Body Control Modules. I seek the advice of anybody who has any experience with any of these. I suspect some are easier than others for reasons of documentation, the manufacturer's engineering support, and the availability of extensions.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Tuesday, 30 April, 2013 - 09:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris, I suspect you are about to go where no man has gone before.....

Upgrading the Shadow electrical system will be fraught with problems due to the R-R logic incorporated in the system to provide features that pushed the capabilities of the electrical components available in the 1960/1970 era. You will find it necessary to closely examine the wiring diagrams and deduce the logic used - expect undocumented changes between the applicable diagram and what has been installed in your car.

I wish you every success in your endeavours and hope you will document what you do for the benefit of the R-R/B community - I commend the work of one of our members, Richard Treacy, in this area as documented in this forum.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Tuesday, 30 April, 2013 - 09:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hope you have born in mind that the BCM most likely fires a signal to an EWL CM which does not exist either and that the Shadow window loads are probably much higher than most intended applications for modern EWL CMs.

Chris, I suspect you are about to go where no man has gone before..... or possibly you have already gone where many a Shadow owner has gone when working on their electrics under the misassumption that there is any form of 'normal logic' involved - Nuts! :-)

Good luck with it though, Paul.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, 30 April, 2013 - 08:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OMG Chris!!!
Have a rethink mate.
The ratio of effort versus reward is not looking too healthy here. I would channel the energy needed to enhance your car to other areas within the car that perhaps need attention. If you do embark on this quest, will you achieve a worthwhile goal?