PAS hose replacement Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » PAS hose replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2013 - 03:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My high-pressure PAS hose had started to weep, so replacement was in order. Given that I'd have to drain the whole system, it seemed like a good idea to do all the low-pressure ones at the same time.

Turns out that you have to dismount the pump to get the hoses off the back of it. Since I had a new set of drive belts on the shelf, it seemed like a good idea to do them too.

Getting the belts off their various pulleys and the pump dismounted was fairly straight-forward, although the water pump belts won't fit over the fan, and dismounting the fan is a bit tedious.

But then I hit a bit of a road-block. There's no way to get a standard spanner on to the bottom of the high-pressure hose due to the other pipes. After considerable head-scratching I ended up cutting a cheap 11/16 spanner up and welding it together at a 90-degree angle. Don't start this job if you don't have an angled spanner or crowsfoot spanner (or a welder and some extra time).

The high-pressure hose kit from Flying Spares comes with two O-rings (CD 5011 and 5012) and the pipe union (CD 6095) for the back of the pump. The pipe union already has an O-ring on it, and near as I could figure, the larger one goes between the pump body and the reservoir (which I wasn't dismounting). After considerable (but somewhat inconclusive) consultation with TSD4200 and the parts book, I decided to ignore them.

From there on in it all went fairly well. A bit more tedium to dismount the grill to get to the little jobbies connecting the oil cooler on top o the radiator (the trim plate on my car obscures the two setscrews from the bottom, necessitating dismounting the bumper).

The book says to disconnect the coil and crank it on the starter, but given as I had a helper I went with Bill's advice from TeeOneTopics and fired her up with a bottle of ATF poised over the reservoir. Yes, it goes down pretty quick, but nothing you can't keep ahead of if you're standing over it.

Even after a couple of turns lock-to-lock there was still a lot of vibration through the steering wheel, which took 10 or 12 turns during a test drive to work through. My guess is air bubbles, but the level in the reservoir didn't go down much.

Cheers,
Jeff.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 999
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2013 - 07:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff, they are a real pita.

Only things I'd add is the belts will come over the fan, blade by blade.

Let the air settle with the engine off and repeat the topping up and turning the steering prosess a couple of times before taking for a drive.