Converting Shadow I to spin on Oil Fi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Converting Shadow I to spin on Oil Filter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 405
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2013 - 09:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I do not wish to re-start a debate about the merits or otherwise of doing this.

Those so interested can hit "search" with the words 'spin-on oil filter' and amuse themselves with their preferred brand of partisanship.

I have decided to do it to my car so that I can get the oil changed at the nearest reliable place to my remote location without having to worry about the apprentice putting the washers back on in the wrong order or deciding that there is no way this old bit of cork belongs there!!

I understand that it is a simple matter (really?) of getting hold of a Shadow II pedestal. Can someone confirm this?

Do I need any gaskets, odd bits of hardware or anything else?

The relevant diagram and reference is in Tee One #56

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 997
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2013 - 09:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff,

Yes you will need a gasket to.

Also either a couple of old switches for the transmitter holes (easiest) or find something else to blank the extra holes.

If you have trouble finding one in OZ, feel free to PM me. About £100 inc 1 filter & gasket.

Cheers, Paul.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2013 - 09:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul. So I've arranged to get hold of a SSII kit and at next oil change will go to my garage where I'm allowed in to supervise under the lift.

Just to illustrate what I'm likely to find so I'm prepared.

SRH20280 is later than 20000 when according to Tee One has this set-up with the flexible hoses.

The SSI filter pedestal:

SSII pedestal:

Question 1 --I assume the flexible hoses are deleted and the longer pedestal connects directly?

Question 2 -- The transducer to cut off the fuel supply at pressure loss is the same on both units so is just screw-out/screw-in replacement?

As an aside:

I got Bob to put in the wiring for an oil gauge and have finally installed it in the driver's footwell. I wonder if he put in another sender or can you just cut into the sender from the ignition barrell oil light switch? - I would have thought the latter was a cut-out at pressure switch and Bob had to install a separate sender.