Castrol Oil Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Castrol Oil « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ralph Brooks
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.219.243.3
Posted on Wednesday, 04 August, 2004 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What do you think of Castrol GTX Startup, and what are "Polarized Molecules"?
I use onlly Castrol Syntec 5-W50 in all my vehicles. Does this have polarized mo;ecules or should I use a procedure to polarize them?
Cheers
Ralph

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.51
Posted on Thursday, 05 August, 2004 - 02:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am not sure of the procedure, but the process of having ones molecules polarized sounds rather daunting. I will check this out to see if there are any survivors!

Mark Peacock
Frequent User
Username: takemehomejames

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, 06 September, 2004 - 07:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ralph,

Polymers (VI improvers),are molecules that thicken and expand the oil as temperature increases, and reduce in size and thin the oil as it cools. So, an oil for example such as 20W-60 will have the characteristics of 20W at low temperatures and of 60 SAE at high temps.

VI improvers are still not completely stable at high loads, and under shock tend to lose their structure momentarily and collapse. Thus a 20W/60 oil would only offer the protection of 20W oil under these conditions. The loss is most likely to occur in high load areas such as bearings, lifters etc. Thats why most cam grinders recommend the running in of cams to use straight 30 or 40 grade.

Mark.

(Sourced from A Graham Bell's book on
Forced induction & performance tuning )
One legendary Man !!

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 62.253.64.18
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2005 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am very cautious with stuff like polarised molecules.

They are meant to be attracted to the brg surfaces so that when the engine is not running the oil says in the brgs etc.

BUT

if you put any oil on something and leave it to hang the oil will run off but not completely which is why when I take engines apart all the bits are slimy.

OIl pumps are do not need to turn very much or very fast for them to pump oil around, a method I use to quick pumps is to turn them by hand and check for oil flow and once that pump has gone round once you will be surprised at how much oil flows. Within 5 turns of cranking a good engine will have pumped oil around.

also the crank webs fling oil up the bores as soon as that crank turns. 50 rpm would chuck loads. 250 rpm and the oil is being flung absolutely every where

Most start up wear is caused by petrol wash on a cold engine.

However there is nothing wrong with GTX magnetech or start up and it is not that expensive so use it if you like.

I think companies spend loads thinking of ways to get more share of the market. Polarised particals maybe advertiser puff.

(Message approved by david_gore)