Alternate fan couplings for early cars. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Alternate fan couplings for early cars. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert C
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 121.45.92.143
Posted on Sunday, 17 March, 2013 - 09:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys,

I need to replace the six inch fan coupling. I note there's an alternate for the eight inch, but can't find one for six inch. Is there such a thing?

(Message approved by david_gore)

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, 18 March, 2013 - 05:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

Are you referring to the viscous fan clutch/viscous coupling, shown as number 41 in this screenshot from the parts manual?:

Early Shadow Viscous Fan Clutch

I know that many have used the Hayden 2747 for "one series" Shadows, but there are at least two different styles in that era.

What is your chassis number?

In any case, if this is what you're talking about, take a look at the Hayden Fan Clutch Catalog and start playing the "match up all the pertinent dimensions" game that I had to play for my Silver Wraith II.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Saturday, 29 July, 2017 - 04:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Brian,
I need to buy a Hayden for my Wraith II. What part number did you end up buying? Mine is a 78.
Thanks
Omar

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2368
Posted on Sunday, 30 July, 2017 - 04:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

From the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation:

Substitute Fan Clutch & Fan Blades for “two series” SY cars (Chassis numbers above 30000):
Derale 17118 metal fan clutch fan and the Hayden 2706 viscous fan clutch
It is possible to fit a Hayden 2747 with the original fan blades if you have a simple metal adapter ring machined. To see both of these solutions in photographs see the following thread on the RROC-Australia Discussion forums: Alternate fan and/or viscous fan clutch for the "Two Series" cars

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Sunday, 30 July, 2017 - 04:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian.
Is there a simple clutch that will fit the original fan and the water pump without the need for an adapter?
Many thanks for your help as always Brian.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2369
Posted on Sunday, 30 July, 2017 - 07:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Try as I might, I was never able to locate a fan clutch that would fit the original RR fan other than the one from Crewe Original. Believe me, I tried.

That ring is only for the fan end of things. The attachment to the water pump is OK.

If my OEM fan had not been destroyed I would have gone the ring adapter route myself.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Monday, 31 July, 2017 - 03:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian.
what about working it out from here?

http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Hayden/2007-hayden-fan-clutch.pdf

Can we not work backwards from this document?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2370
Posted on Tuesday, 01 August, 2017 - 01:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Been there, done that, with several different catalogs. I was completely unsuccessful in finding any "over the counter" VFC that matched the weird hole pattern that Crewe used on our fans for the SY2 series cars.

I could have missed something, and it can't hurt to have another set of eyes, but definitely pay strict attention to the dimensional data and to what that would mean as far as the fan mounting position with regard to the shroud.

If you were to find a commercially available "plug and play" replacement you'd be doing the Shadow owning community a huge favor!

Brian

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 504
Posted on Tuesday, 01 August, 2017 - 07:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly O if it's truly unobtanium.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, 01 August, 2017 - 07:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lemme see what I can do...

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 505
Posted on Wednesday, 02 August, 2017 - 01:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

I was only making the point that it would be possible to machine one, not actually volunteering you!

BTW, I finally got around to using the puller, thanks again.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, 02 August, 2017 - 02:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And I got to use my brake pump removal tool.

Richard.

Christopher Williams
Yet to post message
Username: christopher_williams

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, 03 August, 2017 - 02:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was able to cross reference the original fan clutch for the Shadow II originally equipped with the plastic cooling fan. I tried the Hayden fan and clutch, and was having difficulties with proper a/c cooling in town, rechecking everything found out to not be moving enough air at idle and low engine speeds. It crosses to a Range Rover Classic, part number #ERC2849. An aftermarket version is available, which I found on Ebay's UK site. Purchased and installed, and now things are back to normal.

Ebay link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-3-Viscous-Fan-Coupling-ERC2849-/251893516317?epid=1447881138&hash=item3aa606081d:g:amUAAOSw241Ydg3V

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Thursday, 03 August, 2017 - 03:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher,

Interesting. I can only find one vendor for this part (at least quickly) in the USA and their price is outrageous:

https://parts.landroverpalmbeach.com/p/Land-Rover_1989_Range-Rover/Engine-Cooling-Fan-Clutch-For-7-Blade-Fan-To-Engine-38D27237B/48714910/ERC2849.html

While there are at least several in the UK and the lowest price I've found so far is £55:

http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/viscous-coupling-7094-blade-britpart-erc2849-p-3681.html

It's great if a straight replacement has been found.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Thursday, 03 August, 2017 - 04:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Christopher,
I would love to buy one of these clutches for my Wraith II if it truly fitted the car - but it does not. The photos I have seen of the ERC2849 all show it to have a through hole in the centre. If so - how will the clutch fit on the water pump? where is the flange?
Thanks
Omar

Christopher Williams
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 03 August, 2017 - 04:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, unless your SWII is different than a Shadow II, the flange is a separate piece. The hub is bolted to the clutch, and the fan is bolted to the clutch.
The fan, clutch, and hub are 3 separate pieces.

Here is a diagram from Introcar showing the pieces and how they assemble.

https://www.introcar.co.uk/lookbook/water-pump-fan-viscous-coupling-fan-clutch-chassis-numbers-30000-52000-li496

Once you remove it from the car and take a look at the hardware, its clear how it all goes together.

Christopher Williams
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 03 August, 2017 - 04:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, I have had it fitted to my car for the last two months and about 400 miles, and its been extremely warm here in Dallas this summer. So far, it is doing the job well!

My part did arrive in a BritPart box, but only had the ERC2849 part number.

I wanted to exhaust all resources before I would pay $300-400ish USD for a fan clutch, and I normally seek out alternatives where possible, as long as it does not alter the performance or safety of the vehicle.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Thursday, 03 August, 2017 - 04:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Christopher,
My viscous coupling on my 78 Wraith II is a one piece unit.
Now I am wondering if I have the wrong clutch on my car. What do others have? a single unit or a 2 piece unit like the one in the introcar link above?
Most Intrigued.

Christopher Williams
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 03 August, 2017 - 05:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, the earlier cars, before VIN 30000 had a steel fan with a single piece fan clutch. The second post of this thread, Brian posted a picture of it from the parts manual.

Here is another link to Introcar's diagram showing the earlier, single piece unit.
https://www.introcar.co.uk/lookbook/water-pump-fan-viscous-coupling-fan-clutch-chassis-numbers-11111-26700-li495

Your car being a 1978 model should be well past the VIN split at 30,000. Does your car have a plastic or steel fan blade?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2372
Posted on Thursday, 03 August, 2017 - 02:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

I still have the unit from LRK37110 out in my garage. Let me have a look to see how the VFC and its pedestal mate. I'd thought it was single piece but I could be entirely mistaken. It's been a couple of years since I was working on this bit of the car.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2373
Posted on Friday, 04 August, 2017 - 08:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Here are the photos. I had already removed the VFC from its pedestal mount way back when I was working on this part of the car.

one

two

three

four

five

six

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Saturday, 05 August, 2017 - 04:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

perfect.
many many thanks Brian.
I was inspired and looked into my pile of bits from the shadow I chopped up and found exactly the same item as shown in your superb photos. The centre bolt on mine however is seized so it will take some patience to remove.

I will buy the land Rover coupling as suggested by Christopher.

Thanks Gents

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 744
Posted on Saturday, 02 September, 2017 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like Brian I searched high and low for a generic replacement for the clutch in my 1970 Car but did not find one. I had a used one I bought when I ran across it and I used it: works fine. Hard to believe this clutch was not used on some other application circa 1970. I wasn't able to find one though.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: