Installation of Ignitor Electronic Ig... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Installation of Ignitor Electronic Ignition « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Howlett
Frequent User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 05:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just recived a Aldon Ignitor ignition kit from Flying Spares today.I'm hoping it will remove a slight stumble when at idle and the need to replace points and such..How ever I'm told the base plate needs to have heat sink paste applied which the kit dosn't have.Do you guys think Its needed? or is it ok to install without the paste.

cheers
rob

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 06:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rob

I personally would use heat sink paste to make sure there is a good thermal connection, particularly if they state it in the installation instructions.

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, 09 March, 2013 - 07:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well the instalition is done,phew what a hassell.the pervious owner had rerouted all the electrics anyway a worthwhile upgrade.the wouldn't start first up the wrong coil,and there where shimms in the dizzy, that held the rotor button up .no wonder it ran rough. Anyway its now fix 5% BTD allow for your crap petrol here in Aus. I have to say the upgrade and the effort put into it was worth it ..She idles with no stumble now and so much smoother you can put a glass of water on the head and she'll stay there .temp has dropped too ..A worth while upgrade .even this a bit of a hassel from previous owners ..
cheers
rob

richard george yeaman
Frequent User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, 09 March, 2013 - 08:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert thats a great result you didnt say whether you used heat sink paste or not, I also fitted electronic system vast improvement.
Cheers Richard.

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, 10 March, 2013 - 03:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard
I did use the paste. I got some from a local computer store that does repairs, the salesman said they use it to mate a heat sink to the CPU ,cost $4.00 a tube.

cheers
rob

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, 10 March, 2013 - 04:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rob

Thanks for the review. It's always useful for relatively new owners like myself to hear these endorsements of parts and products.

Richard - did you use the Aldon Ignitor ignition kit also.

Geoff.

richard george yeaman
Frequent User

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, 10 March, 2013 - 05:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff
I used a Power spark unit very easy to fit and very reasonably priced at £29.00. I Uprated the Ignition coil and done away with the ballast resistor the latter had given me a lot of trouble the coiled wire had corroded and when it heated up it cut off the power to the ignition coil this usually took about four miles amd if you had to slow at a junction the car would stall.

Cheers. Richard.

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, 11 March, 2013 - 01:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys.. Just got back from a highway test with the new electronic ignition'did a 100k round trip.I decided to plant the slipper or thong depending on where you live ,on 2 occasions to overtake another car.Now I must admit I pushed her hard just to show she could keep up even thought the chrome strip started to lift off the bonnet.Anyway being so quiet inside I'm sure I heard her Ping..Just wondering can I do slight ajustments with the octain nut on the side of the dizzy,or since being fitted with the electronic ignition system now does the side of this becomes redundant..
cheers
rob

richard george yeaman
Frequent User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, 11 March, 2013 - 06:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert
Thats Great, Yes all youneed is a slight amount of movement anti clockwise to retard the timeing a little bit.

Cheers. richard.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Tuesday, 12 March, 2013 - 07:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, what is the compression ratio of your engine? If your car was first delivered overseas, there is a high probability it may have a different compression ratio to Australian-delivered cars. If my memory is correct, UK-delivered cars were 9:1 compression compared to 8.2:1 for Australian equivalents. DRH14434 was a UK-delivered vehicle and had a 9:1 compression ratio which necessitated using 95 octane fuel [98 was not available] WITH some retardation of the timing to stop pre-ignition. The filler cap had a sticker advising 100 octane fuel [UK specification] should be used.

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, 12 March, 2013 - 03:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David
She is a UK delivered car and imported to Aus in 1980. I did use E10 for the run which was probably the wrong fuel to use.was kinda hoping the conversion would let me run the cheaper fuel.I did put 98 ron when she ran on points but l'm happy to go back to 98 and try the test again.I had a look at the filler cap and there's nothing on it ..

Many thanks for the advice

cheers
Rob

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Tuesday, 12 March, 2013 - 06:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rob,

MOST IMPORTANT - DO NOT USE E10 fuel in your car unless you have replaced all SU fuel pump and carburettor gaskets/seals etc using the ethanol fuel conversion kits available from Burlen.

The ethanol in E10 has disastrous effects on the gaskets/seals used in your car which are only suitable for traditional fuel derived from petroleum alone.

I would check your compression ratio and, if it is 9:1, use several tanks of 98 octane fuel to purge the fuel system and then set an initial static timing of 5 deg BTDC. If you do not experience pre-ignition, try a static setting of 6deg BTDC and revert to 5deg or less if you experience pre-ignition. If you use a timing light, set the engine speed to 800 rpm and disconnect the vacuum line from the distributor before setting the timing and do not forget to replace the line afterwards.

Does your car have the octane adjustment on the distributor? If so, set the timing to TDC instead of the above settings and then adjust the selector on the distributor to 98 octane. DRH14434 did not have this device fitted so I cannot comment on the settings resulting from its use.

You should find 98 octane fuel will give better fuel economy if you can resist the temptation to enjoy the new responsiveness of your car

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, 12 March, 2013 - 07:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OH crap ..I'll drain the tank no questions asked.
thats why this site so important..
many thanks

rob

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Tuesday, 12 March, 2013 - 07:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David's advice on E10 is seconded - I have had to repair one car from the experience.

What I AM curious about is the mileage we get out of the various fuels. Provided I run 98RON fuel I easily get 450K from a full tank of fuel. I would get more but by nerve fails me. I filled up today and according to the bowser I still had some 20 litres left in the tank. A later Bentley ?89? regularly does 500K to the tank.

It has been clearly demonstrated lately that the sale of lower octane fuels at lower prices completely overlooks the energy content of the various fuels. By using the highest octane I need less left foot so the body goes further per litre!

Waddayathunk??

Moderator Comment: Have moved later contributions to a new thread as below:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/13557.html?1363128716

Please use this thread for future comments about ethanol fuel and related issues.

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 286
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2013 - 09:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I deleted my last post since there is now a spin-off post, in the General Discussion forum, Ethanol Blended Fuels.

That reply is posted in the above referenced thread.

Brian, who's more tolerant of thread drift than the moderator but who's also thankful for careful and consistent "separation of issues."

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, 03 April, 2013 - 07:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear folks ..I hope I don't upset anyone here BUT ....I have to say she does run better on 98Ron..On the hills she pulls nice and hard and no hint of pinning However {'m still not sure of the catastrophic fail-er such as Corroded seals and such.
Much to think about I guess
cheers
rob

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, 03 April, 2013 - 07:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

running ethanol blended fuels

Oh I forgot to add that bit
sorry
rob

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2013 - 03:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well its all done now 'electronic ignition a carby rebuild and she's running sweet. I have to admit, I run my Royce 'HARD'' Rockhampton to Emerald 600ks at average speed 120ks sometimes 160kph with 140k kilo bums in the back seat she never fails .I.VE posted a YouTube posting just to show how great these mothers are..
cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS00By55r0c

rob

Robert Howlett
Frequent User

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2013 - 04:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

yes its my motor ...

cheers rob

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 401
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2013 - 06:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm speechless - one myth that's actually true!