Home-Market Cars: Seat Belts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Home-Market Cars: Seat Belts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Frequent User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, 17 February, 2013 - 02:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, I am finally getting around to updating the seat belts in my Car, SRH 9391. When imported to the USA in the early 1980s, the Factory belts were required by regulators (misguided ones at that) to be replaced with American belts, so someone installed salvaged GM belts. All the anchor points are present and in good condition; I learned of a good source for modern equipment at very reasonable prices and it seems it will not be difficult to fit and make a satisfactory job. I would like to know what kind of covers were used for the reels for the outboard rear passengers' shoulder harnesses. My Car has the vinyl headliner and parcel shelf cover. The only fittings present on the shelf now are the two chrome-plated bolts which I presume are the anchor points for the two reels. Steve J. in the US mentions a wool cloth cover. Your advice is
solicited.
With regards, Randy

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
New User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 18 February, 2013 - 08:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Outboard Rear Passenger Shoulder Harness Covers. Randy on my Camargue these are made of panel steel covered with black leather. Perhaps on your car they were supposed to be the same as on a Camargue but I don't know. Flying Spares in the UK should be able to tell you and even sell you a pair. Interesting that the USA regulators asked for the original belts to be replaced. I had a similar experience with my 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood after I imported it from New Mexico to Australia. Here the clowns at the Traffic office wanted the USA original double retractors to be replaced with Australian ones. The US system used one retractor in the roof of the car and another at the bottom of the door pillar for the purpose of avoiding decapitation of the driver or front passenger in the event of a serious side swipe accident. Now my Cadillac complies with the facinating Australian Design Rules and in the even of a serious side swipe accident a head may come off. Nice to see the regulating drones in the US are related to our own breed of ignorant bureaucrats that lurk in great numbers in any government department linked with vehicles.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 970
Posted on Monday, 18 February, 2013 - 09:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Make a cover out of aluminium and trim it to match.

Whatever rear belts you fit, get the webbing in the matching colour to the seats. IMHO a million times better looking.

Not the best picture for showing off rear seat belts . . and you might say you can't even see any.

Exactly! :-)

Seat Belts EverythingRollsRoyce

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, 18 February, 2013 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, Vladimir, Paul!
The destructive government regulatory bureaucrat seems to be a trans-national phenomenon.
That's the buckle style I requested.
When I was in high school in the 1970s that Cadillac Fleetwood was a lot of car and one I admired. I thought the interiors were beautiful. Well, it was the '70s.

New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, 19 February, 2013 - 06:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually Randy, Paul has a good idea in making your own. I could send you the dimensions of mine and come to think of it the Camargue's may be made of aluminium and I won't know which metal until I return to my property and do a magnet test. Sheet steel would be prone to humidity corrosion if not painted. I assume you are talking about the covers that sit upon the rear parcel self behind the seats. Obviously, the dimensions of the cover are going to depend upon the size of the reel and they would not be hard to manufacture and any welds would be covered by the leather covering the cover. Beautiful rear interior photo Paul. The Camargue has white upolstery with black seat belts. I think white seat belts in a Camargue might be over the top but go with the gold plated mascot. Can anybody tell me whether it is true that jeans/denim should not be worn in these cars because it is abravive on the leather or is that a myth along with the one that if my car breaks down somebody from Crewe is going to magically appear and get the car to proceed again?

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, 19 February, 2013 - 07:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, Vladimir, I don't know about abrasive but the blue dye in the denim can stain if it is in the least bit moist.
That is a beautiful interior, Paul. My appreciation of the classic, dignified styling and quality of construction of these interiors has only grown.
I am referring to the reels on the parcel shelf, and I agree it should be a snap to create suitable covers from aluminum and cover them with the appropriate material to match. The modern reels are not very different in size from the originals used by the Factory. If you have a photo that would really help, as I do not have any other Cars around to examine closely fro this kind of detail.
Most of the Cars I have see have all black belts so that is what I ordered. At least I am getting rid of the old buckles with GM on them. I don't doubt "someone from Crewe" might show up to repair your car, but the bill would be quite stiff, I imagine!

John Shostrom
Prolific User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, 22 February, 2013 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy, the reel covers on Shadows were covered in the same material as used on the headlining and parcel shelf. I'm sure you could source a pair of these via Tony Handler in California. Telephone 310 473 7773 or www.tonyhandler.com

They are not expensive.

Good luck

John

Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 01 March, 2013 - 05:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy, I closely inspected the seatbelt retractor covers on the Camargue. They are aluminium. Pressed aluminum with no welds and no rivets. Or perhaps they are hand beaten aluminum like phantom guards. So measurements are difficult because of the rounded strengthening forrows inside. Did you try Tony Handler for some covers as suggested by John?