Silver Shadow rear hydraulic ram ques... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Silver Shadow rear hydraulic ram question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

dooskoop
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 67.169.250.56
Posted on Saturday, 17 July, 2004 - 07:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've recently acquired a '76 Shadow (SRE 24700) that has a leaky rear hydraulic ram. The accumulators are in need of rebuilding/recharging and the hydraulics have not functioned since I bought the car. I am told by RR in Las Vegas that I may have to wait a couple of weeks for a rebuild kit to arrive from England. In the mean-time, would it be acceptable for me to join the two hydraulic ram lines with a union and continue to drive the car? If I were to do this, would I need to bleed the line? Does the car need to be running while I bleed the line? Where and how would I go about bleeding this line. I've never bled any lines on this car before, please forgive my ignorance.

William H. Trovinger II
Grand Master
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, 17 July, 2004 - 02:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dooskoop;

I have emailed you a word document I put together after doing my rams last year. On the subject of waiting 2 weeks for kit try Zionsville Bentley (formerly Albers RR & B) their email is www.albersrollsbentley.com they will have the kits in stock and I would bet at a better price. However, the RR363 might be cheaper due to shipping weight to get locally but check the cost anyways.

Another thing I would recommend is ordering a set of shop manuals if you do not have them yet. Larry sells them direct or on eBay (tbird@consultant.com).

Regards,
Bill

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, 17 July, 2004 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why don't you guys just order your parts from the UK yourself, to save time and buy at a much lower price ? It's only a click or two away. Albers may be very good, but have to finance their stocks and logistics. You will be surprised at the huge cost and time savings by buying online from the UK, and it's very convenient.

William H. Trovinger II
Grand Master
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, 18 July, 2004 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard;

I agree with you on items you have the time to wait for. However, on the seal kit from example they where about U$ 80.00 each from Albers and I got them in two days. With international shipments the Lord only knows how long customs will sit on them before clearing, some times they clear in a day other time it can take a week. As you know us Yanks are always in a rush and never have time to wait.

Regards,
Bill

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 244
Posted on Sunday, 18 July, 2004 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, a ram kit at US$80 is even a little lower in price than, as a guide, at Introcar (£49 or US$92 today). Accumulator rebuild kits cost £30, or US$56. Then there's US tax and shipping, but that's not much. Maybe Albers are finally catching on...

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, 18 July, 2004 - 07:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Dooskoop. I hope you are not driving around with depleted accumulators, that is very dangerous. You would need to have say at least 10 pumps of the brakes before the lights come on. If you need breathing time before you do the rams, the best tac is to blank them off. To do this exhaust both systems by pumping the brakes, get under the car and you will find two hydraulic lines running roughly down the middle of the car. If you trace these back you will find they connect into the levelling valves and the rams. About mid car you will find a junction block on the two lines. The line nipples can be disconnected here and 5/32in ball bearings inserted and the lines reconnected and tightened up. The only thing to bear in mind is not to throw a couple of 300 lb passengers in the back set while in this condition as the rear half shafts will knock to put it mildly.

dooskoop
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 67.169.250.56
Posted on Thursday, 22 July, 2004 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice. I bought a set of the factory manuals and realized how unsafe the brakes are in their present condition and have parked it for now. I've ordered new brake lines and rebuild kits for the valve bodies, rams and accumulators from Introcar (Thanks Richard!) and am now waiting. Wish me luck!