Aerial / Antenna Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Aerial / Antenna « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, 22 November, 2012 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the process of installing the new Head Unit in my car I've tested all the aerial connections and renewed some.

The cable consists of a thin single strand of copper wire in a loose white plastic sleeve surrounded by beautifully braided copper shielding and black rubber.

My aerial motor was removed when the car was painted and I think I've read somewhere that it should be earthed. The motor works.

However; the inner single strand of copper wire in the footwell end of the cable shows connectivity with the fender chrome bezel but not with the rising pole. The shielding has no connectivity to either.

Is it possible the motor or the connection was wired wrongly when it was reinstalled? I don't want to turn the radio on till I'm sure it's wired correctly (and if possible I'd like to avoid the chore of re-removing the motor but I'd rather be safe than sorry)

Anybody familiar with car aerials?

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 351
Posted on Thursday, 22 November, 2012 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmmm... to answer my own question.

Further experimentation showed that the rising mast of the antenna connects to the bezel and aerial wire when it is fully extended; I has previously been testing it only part way up.

I'd always assumed in my ignorance that you could play around with the height of the aerial to centre reception on a particular station.

Obviously not.

Anyway a bit of electrical clean and grease and it's all fine now.

SRH20280 has the manual switch on the dash and the new headunit has the blue wire to automatically raise/lower the aerial.

Sometime when I don't have a list of more important things to do I might investigate bridging the switch to auto.

I'd want to keep manual function as well because the original Blaupunkt radio has been restored as a working curiosity (and I like the 'character' and originality of having it between the seats.)

It feeds into the new headunit through a line level reducer and the Pioneer IP BUS cable as an 'accessory'.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 352
Posted on Thursday, 22 November, 2012 - 02:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As it turns out the Blaupunkt Frankfurt model I have has a small automatic antenna outlet pin in any case: it'd be a matter of checking if the antenna dash switch is negative or positively switched.