Installing Accumulators Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Installing Accumulators « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Frequent User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, 27 September, 2012 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Let's start this out by saying, "this task is a challenge!" I'm trying to reinstall the accumulators and control valves back into my Shadow II, which is a RHD to LHD conversion (which may or may not complicate matters). The front end is elevated by jack stands.

I have succeeded in getting the right side completed, including all of the various connections. The left, however, is being a bear.

I cannot seem to get the bolts started into the engine block on this side. This task is complicated by the presence of the steering, exhaust pipe, and very limited hand space.

I am thinking that if I can come up with a way to support the accumulator that doesn't mean that I have one hand completely tied up with that task I might make better headway. Has anyone come up with a good system to do this? I am contemplating trying to ball up a large towel and use this to create a nest for the accumulator. The thing is currently being held up and in the car by the exhaust pipe and another structural bit, so this "system" might work.

Any tips and tricks would be most appreciated.

Brian

Hubert Kelly
Experienced User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, 27 September, 2012 - 06:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian, how about feeding a nylon rope from the engine side to the accumulator, securing rope to accumulator, then a large "T" piece of wood at engine to support same. Its just an idea, none tested, you may need to consider safety aspects of same?. PS.Brian I have removed the accumulators and valve body from 2 cars with cars on ground and the wheel locked to give room, however that was a Shadow 1, I think on the Shadow 2 the accumulators are either side of engine bay?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 861
Posted on Thursday, 27 September, 2012 - 07:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi Brian.

this is going to be short because my longer reply seems to have got lost in . . .

connect the 3/4 pipe up first. Makes starting the shroud flakes and them will support everything while you let the bolts started.

one bolt needs to be in before the valve is in place or it will foul.

Chris Browne
Frequent User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, 28 September, 2012 - 05:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, I am stunned. I had no trouble whatever with the shroud flakes when I did my accumulators!!!

Kind regards,

Chris

Brian Vogel
Frequent User

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, 28 September, 2012 - 06:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think either I'm missing some inside joke, am living through "two peoples separated by a common language," or "shroud flakes" is some very interesting typographical error.

Someone please tell me which!!

Brian, who has seen the "use the 3/4 pipe, loosely, first" advice before but had forgotten about it

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 862
Posted on Friday, 28 September, 2012 - 07:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bloody predictive text!

the shroud flakes are always a doddle!

try `starting the pipe thread much easier.`:-)

I've got to go out to G.C. to fit some accumulators on the floor soon. Not looking forward to that bit.It really is so much easier on a ramp.

Good luck with it and watch out for the flakes! ;-)

Everythingrollsroyce
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.127.79
Posted on Thursday, 27 September, 2012 - 04:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

connect the 3/4 pipe up first. This makes starting the pipe much easier and supports it from there on in.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Brian Vogel
Prolific User

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, 28 September, 2012 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll have to try the 3/4" high pressure inlet pipe trick "the next time" (which I hope will be a number of *years* from now).

I decided to give my "towel nest" thought a try and it helped immensely. One old bath towel to elevate the assembly and an additional wash cloth as the minor adjustment prop and I was able to get the various holes lined up incredibly easily and with almost no need for heavy assistance from one hand to keep things in place.

My forearms are a mess, one was bruised up quite a bit last night and now I think the other one will match. The space available for working on the left side accumulator connections is miniscule compared to on the right. Between the steering and the exhaust it's murder!!

The good news is that both accumulators and all their respective connections have been put back in place. Now it's just reclamping the exhaust together and let the flushing and bleeding begin!!

Brian