Burgess Microswitches Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Burgess Microswitches « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 - 07:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alas one has crumbled while I was cleaning the (very rusty) contacts on SRH20280's rear door window switch.

Sorting through my collection of old Shadow switches for a replacement shows that they changed over time.

Mine is the 3 contact sort which was used from chassis number 09001 onwards.

For the price of an extended holiday (plus postage) in a five star London hotel they are available (after the usual delay) from the standard sources.

Or I can buy one locally for around $5 delivered in a day. No brainer really - except I'm not sure exactly which one to buy: I think this is the one

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/microswitches/3218210/

Selected from this narrowed down list:
http://australia.rs-online.com/web/c/switches/microswitches-accessories/microswitches/?sort-by=default&view-type=List&applied-dimensions=4294884984%2c4294634524%2c4294856830%2c4294877416&sort-order=default&lastAttributeSelectedBlock=4294960813

It's a single break changeover switch.

Here's the one available from the UK

Is anyone familiar enough with these to be able to advise?

RS online, incidentally, sell all sorts of wonderful stuff from tools to paint to the above sort of thing -cheaply and they dispatch with alacrity!!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2661
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 - 09:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff.

Jaycar has them. By the hundred and for a song. They are used on everything from a Rolls-Royce to a lawnmower to your dishwasher or fridge door. They are pure commodity items. Burgess, Omron, Tyco, Fujitsu, Hitachi, LSH, WBM, Bosch. They are industry standard items to a DIN spec. Just be sure that the DC rating is 10A and you will be fine - AC applications only need flimsier switches for a given current rating, but they are all the same size, shape and configuration. Given a choice, Omron (V-21 series) is the best. Just specify spade or screw connections, and with or without lever (if they come with an actuating lever, you just pull it off if you don’t need it. Some levers have a roller too).

See http://rrtechnical.info/windowlifts/windowlifts with a bit on microswitches.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2663
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ps there are a few kept in the spares compartment of my car in case one is needed in a hurry....

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2012 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that Richard - I just thought I'd double check; researching on the net they do seem to be ubiquitous. I've got one coming in the mail for now but I'll start collecting them from thrown away washing machines and fridges etc. for future contingencies.

I got my car back last Wednesday (after 9 months!!) so I'm back to doing the relay mod on the remaining windows and replacing various rubbers, cleaning connections and so on.

She's looking beautiful and driving like a tiger; revarnished woodwork, completely repainted and the entire air-conditioning system works for the first time.

Once I've finished the last of the leather and installed the new picnic tables and the new stereo I'll be back on the road!!

Peter Talbot
Prolific User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, 19 August, 2012 - 07:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffrey

The Omron V-21 series are a direct replacement.

To download full technical specs etc. see:

http://www.omron.com.au/product_info/V/index.asp

Peter