Brake Fluid Loss Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Brake Fluid Loss « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, 03 August, 2012 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bentley T1 SBH17291.I have 2 months ago had the old brake fluid flushed out and new fluid put in to the system,and of course the system bled.I only use the car twice a week for a 50 km run in the country,yesterday my brake pedal nearly hit the floor also brake fluid loss(still showing a little in the glass on the resevoir) in the rear resevoir which feeds the self levelling and the rear calipers on the front brakes.There was no evidence of fluid on the garage floor just the usual slight drip from the rat trap.The warning lights are all working perfectly but did not come on to warn me of any problems.Your thoughts gentlemen ?
Barry

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Friday, 03 August, 2012 - 07:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry,

Obviously you have a leak somewhere which includes the low pressure circuit otherwise the pedal would not have gone to the floor as you report.

Check the callipers and hose connections thoroughly for leaks as well as the accumulator hoses. If you do not find any leaks; the other possibilities are fluid leaking past the piston in the brake pump and finding its way into the sump past the lower O-ring in the cylinder barrel or a leak from the outer cover of the pump into the valley between the rocker covers which emptied the brake reservoir while you were driving and the lost fluid dropped onto the road before you arrived home.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 267
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2012 - 04:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

your low level warning light should have come on. That is one problem you need to fix. Chances are the float may have stuck. The lost oil could have gone into the accumulator if the rubber diaphragm inside it has failed.

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2012 - 09:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks gentlemen,I found the culprit it was a leaky master cylinder.Bob Chapman in Melbourne the ever helpful Bob suggested a faulty master cylinder can cause loss of pedal,also fluid could have leaked whilst driving.The accumulaters and brake pumps have recentley been overhauled.Also incorrect bleeding of the system could also have some effect.Nice to have friends in high places !

Brian Vogel
Frequent User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2012 - 09:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar is indeed correct. I've now seen two cars that had non-functioning low brake fluid floats.

Generally these fail when the glue that holds the two halves fails, and the thing sinks to the bottom. This causes the warning to be "perpetually on" so some (foolish) owners simply pull the connection for the light that's on the reservoir to turn it off, never bothering to fix the float without the reminder. My Wraith II arrived with one float in this condition.

I've repaired the floats and it's easy if they've actually come apart. You just clean them up and reglue them with epoxy (making sure, of course, that you don't forget to put the magnet back in place as part of the process). If they haven't entirely come apart, draining them completely and cleaning the interior out with denatured alcohol is necessary before sealing up wherever the leak occurred with epoxy.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2012 - 07:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If my memory is right, Bill Coburn has comprehensively covered repairing the floats in a past issue of "Tee One Topics".