No brake presure Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » No brake presure « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Constantine
Yet to post message
Username: theo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 21 July, 2012 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone,
Have just replaced the accumulators with reconditioned ones from "Introcar" on a 1979 Corniche MkII. Both pumps are ticking constantly. No 1 presure light comes on immediately the car starts up and No 2 after around 30 pumps of the foot brake.

Since the accumulators have been replaced could the problem be the pumps? and what's the best way of tackling this.

Would very much appreciate all your help.

Hubert Kelly
Experienced User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, 06 August, 2012 - 07:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi George, I don't think one should hear the pumps tick?. I see where this topic is covered earlier this week, if you check the message area. If you type ticking pump into" search" on the site you may get some previous advice.Sorry I can't be of more help. If I were to take a guess(long shot) you may!!.. have one pump giving trouble, as the pressure is low at "No1 pressure light" indicating low accumulator pressure??. By any chance is it possible the system may have air in it, leading to a dry pump, thus the tick??(is the ticking problem is new,.. as in only after accumulator renewal?)
HK

George Constantine
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 03 June, 2013 - 04:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Hubert

Sorry for the very late reply, I've only just seen your message.

Thanks for your input. After checking everything (numerous times) I whipped out both pumps. I just don't know how I even got any pressure at all. BOTH pumps were shot to bits, the springs were broken and the seals torn to shreds, everything was rusty. In a way I was pleased I found out the problem. I overhauled both pumps, put everything back, bled the system and everything worked great.

Thanks again for your help.

George

richard george yeaman
Frequent User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, 03 June, 2013 - 05:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi George.

Glad you got it sorted my own pumps are a bit noisy at start up but gets quite after three or four minutes could you fill me in as to what is entailed and what the cost would be.

Cheers Richard.

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, 05 June, 2013 - 02:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, George, great that you got Her going according to Plan.
Just whipped 'em out, huh? I am encouraged already: I think my Car has a knackered rear pump. Soon as I can whip out the money, Albers will whip out the parts and I will whip out my pumps for a good whipping. Probably I will end up the whipped one.
Joys of ownership, etc.

George Constantine
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, 05 June, 2013 - 02:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

If you have good brake pressure and the noisy pump stops knocking after a while, I wouldn't worry about it. I overhauled my pumps because I wast'n getting any brake pressure.If you still want to go ahead and replace the pump, I suggest you contact Paul Yorke at "Everything Rolls Royce" I think he keeps all the parts and also you can hire the brake pump removal tool to do the job, I hope this helps. Good luck, George

richard george yeaman
Frequent User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, 05 June, 2013 - 07:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi George

Thank you for your reply my brake pressure is very good just sometimes if you have to hold your foot on the brake for a while you can hear the pump working to maintain the pressure I wonder is that the norm or what, I will wait and see how Randy gets on whether he gets whipped or not.

Cheers Richard.