Accumulator Control Valve Overhaul Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Accumulator Control Valve Overhaul « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Frequent User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, 10 June, 2012 - 01:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,

I have had great success (and, oddly, relative ease) in taking the accumulator control valve apart. These things are much simpler than I had anticipated. The trick is not in the rebuilding but in getting the *%&^%* things out of the car!

I have managed to get the whole thing apart with a single exception. Step 4 in the dismantling instructions reads:

Remove the sealing disc, non-return valve, and the return spring from the smaller bore of the bobbin. (See Fig. G12) [See PDF page 4 in Chapter G7 for RR363 Systems #7 is the non-return valve]

The spring falls right out, but that non-return valve does not. I tried inserting a wire post and pushing, gently, from the end opposite the spring where there is a hole in an effort to get it to come out. I stopped very quickly when it became obvious this particular method was not going to work and I might damage something.

In looking at the diagram above it appears that the hole that serves as the fluid passage to this non-return valve narrows significantly where the fluid passes through. I am still presuming one must use a "pusher" of some sort to get this thing to come out, but it probably has to be a rod that's quite thin.

If any one has a "pusher of choice" that's successful, or can inform me that I'm entirely off-base and tell me how one should actually get this thing removed, I would love to hear about the pusher or the alternate technique.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Frequent User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, 11 June, 2012 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To follow up on my own post, I got the suggestion from someone on the U.S. forums to use compressed or canned air to pop that non-return valve out, and it worked like a charm.

I used a can of "computer keyboard cleaning" air and a bowl lined with a paper napkin for the expected projectile. One quick blast with the straw inserted into the tube at the end opposite the return spring and the non-return valve shot right out.

Since there's a small plastic or fluon part on the end of this valve on the end opposite the spring using air to push it makes sense to prevent damage.

Brian

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2012 - 03:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for posting the solution, Brian.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Brian Vogel
Frequent User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2012 - 08:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

You're quite welcome. I always try to post the answers to my own questions if they come to me from an off-forums source. These forums are one of the best sources of reliable information out there for those of us who are DIY Rolls-Royce and/or Bentley mechanics.

As an aside, you could probably use a pusher that was a long piece of thick-ish wire, or a sail-making needle, as long as the pushing end of either is filed off to a blunt tip. The end of the non-return valve that gets pushed upon, whether by air or something mechanical, is made of some plastic-like substance (probably fluon [ETFE]) and could be very easily damaged with rough handling. This piece also looks as if someone put a pin hole in its very center, and this is the same in both of the valve bobbins I've had apart. However, it's not so fragile that a gentle nudge with a non-pointed object should hurt anything. If you're in a situation without compressed or canned air it helps to have a reasonable "Plan B".

Brian