Refinishing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Refinishing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave Puttock
Experienced User
Username: ariel

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, 08 June, 2012 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am about to undertake the re-finishing of the veneered dash components, however in removing the original lacquer I discovered that the the plywood edges around the openings appear to be painted in order to hide the plies. So the question then is do I apply some lacquer first in order to seal the edges? or do I attempt to paint the raw edge.
I am tempted to think that there must be some seal coats first because the paint always comes away with the flakes and never seems to be left behind.
Any recommendations as to what colour this paint should be? Looks sort of mushroom I would say,

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, 11 June, 2012 - 09:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dave, before I decided to get mine done professionally I practiced a lot over the last four years on cheap ebay wood parts and burl veneer sheets - including veneering a rear brake light I'd made.

It's not for the faint hearted or inexperienced. I found it really difficult to strip the varnish without taking the stain and filler out of the wood but then I'm a beginner at it.

The colour of the instrument surrounds was probably tinted to match the wood colour which varies considerably.

Buy one can of orange paint and one can of mission brown (the small ones about 100mls).

Drop by drop add mission brown to the orange; let it dry when you think you're close and continue. Only use half the can of orange in case you add too much brown.

I got reasonably close to the slightly mushroom colour you describe.

Here is an example of what you definitely don't want:

The problem is that your woodwork is going to be a different colour to the original and you may have to end up adjusting the paint colour to avoid that sort of contrast.

Good Luck !!

Jeff

Benoit Leus
Experienced User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2012 - 01:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm also in the process of re-finishing the veneer on my woodwork. To strip the existing varnish, I used a hot air gun, which has the advantage of not taking of the stain or the filler. Just be carefull not to burn the wood.

Benoit

Dave Puttock
Experienced User
Username: ariel

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2012 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jeff, I would never have thought of using any orange as I thought it much more of a 'mousey' colour.
I took 90% of my lacqer off with my finger nail!
It was so cracked and splintered it just flaked off.
I have some spare veneered panels, so I thought I would experiment with Colron wood dyes as they are inexpensive and being spirit based soak in nice and even.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 313
Posted on Wednesday, 13 June, 2012 - 07:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good idea Dave - it was my experimenting that eventually convinced me not to do it myself - it was just one of those things I didn't have the knack for but many people have done it sucessfully.

If you're going to use a 2-pack finish just check that the stain is compatible with it - most of the major brands have spec sheets on the internet. If you google various woodworking forums there's lots of discussion about the various materials and techniques.