SS1 Wiper switch Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » SS1 Wiper switch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Experienced User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, 26 May, 2012 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello.

Just bought a wiper switch on ebay £32. How difficult would it be to fit without me wrecking !!!! something else, Your help would be very much appreciated.

Regards.

Richard.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 299
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2012 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard.
--Do you mean the switch on the dashboard or the little plastic one(s) that sits on the wiper motor itself? Also what year is your car - early ones were slightly different.

--Are your wipers working at all? - there are 2 speeds and an intermittent function (on later SSIs). Do they park properly or stop in the middle of the windscreen?

--There are 2 speed/intermittent control boxes under the dash which are repairable or replaceable. The switch(es) screwed to the motor are usually the ones that fail - if in luck it will just be loose connections but these are replaceable for US$25 on ebay from 'Replacement Parts'. Also if your wipers aren't parking properly one of them is easy to adjust.

--I get my car back in about 2 weeks; if you're happy to wait I could show you with photographs as I have completely rebuilt this system.

--Also sometimes the little brushes in the motor need replacing and this is not a difficult job - just fiddly and a bit time consuming.

--Usually, from memory, you check the motor connections and switches first before playing behind the dash.

Type 'wiper motor' in the search box on this forum and look at some of the old threads for advice on how to test and where everything is located.
Cheers, Jeff

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, 28 May, 2012 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff.

Thank you, My car is Oct 1974,I have had it from 18 june 2011,I am getting it ready for its M O T test. The intermittent part never works, The fast speed always works, The slow speed some times work it usually parks properly but some times not, the part i have bought is the switch at the dash with a whole bundle of wires attached, I will probably not get it till late next week. As always your help is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Richard.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, 28 May, 2012 - 08:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard - one fairly easy thing you can do before you go any further is read this thread.

http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/discus.pl

The wiper motor is on the left side of your engine bay. You can check if the grease is hardened by removing the plastic cover and the metal plate (top left in photo) without undoing the whole motor to check the switches etc.

Don't lose the screws - there's a black hole of nooks and crannies underneath.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2012 - 02:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff.

Thank you for info, I will let you know the outcome.

Regards .

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2012 - 05:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff.

I had the plastic cover off and there was a minimal amount of grease present, Iturned wipers on and gave everything in sight a good blast of wd40 then covered everything in grease there is two plug in connecters the smallerone withg three wires the other one has more the wipers were working on slow speed and fast speed and parking properly with the smaller three wire plug removed the intermittent one dosent work although you can just hear a little drr drr sound coming from somewhere, (SRH19529)

Regards.

Richard.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2012 - 07:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard - just a point. Be careful with WD40 around electrical connections - it gets everywhere. Electrical clean and grease is similar but better - it cleans connections and protects them from corrosion with no danger of shorting. Any auto-electrician will tell you the local brand name.

Intermittent not working: You will need to remove the motor. The bracket is sprung so the screw will drop into the darkness 9 times out of 10.

Read this thread before you go any further:
http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/10555.html

If you decide to remove the gear wheel to regrease under it, do it by removing the pin in the shaft under the motor - not from the top, you'll never get it back together again.

The other thing to take extreme care with is the little bent metal slider piece on the end of the rack (the cable that goes to the wiper blades) it snaps easily - you will have seen it when you greased. Gently ease it out without putting pressure on it. Check all the connections to and on the commutator:

and see if the little brushes are worn.

Replacements are available here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucas-DR2-DL2-DR3-6W-Pair-Classic-Car-Wiper-Motor-Brushes-Lucas-508170-/200766708967?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ebea0dce7&vxp=mtr

The whole operation is best carried out on a white cloth (in fact put one under the motor while you're removing it) so you don't lose any little springs etc. I lost several bits by not being careful enough. Take photos at each stage if you can.

Feel free to email or message me if you get stuck. I'll explain how to adjust parking position as well, although this is usually fixed with the grease.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 302
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2012 - 09:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a small correction on the brushes linked to above - they are for a 6 Watt motor and yours is probably a 16 Watt (the commutator on the right in the above photo).

Steve Hunt in the UK reconditions Lucas wiper motors and will give you advice and/or sell you the correct brushes: His Ebay store should be in your favourite sellers,
http://stores.ebay.com.au/tankard03?_trksid=p4340.l2563 or email him direct:steve@stevehunt.demon.co.uk

The second switch under the gear wheel (more than 3 wires) is a Crewe modification to achieve that final wipe and park sequence - Steve (and others) are unfamiliar with it but his advice and help on all else Lucas Wipers is worth seeking out.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, 30 May, 2012 - 06:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff

Thank you for all the information,I really appreciate the effort and time that you and other members of this forum devote to the well being of these special cars,

Regards.

Richard.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, 06 June, 2012 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've done some further research on this. There is available a whole brush set which just pops in.

Nominally it is rated as 14W but the brushes and wiring are the same as the 16W - including the little notch on the slow brush. The mounting board cutouts appear to fit - or close enough, just use a nail file. I came across this on a Jaguar discussion board on the same subject.

For 9 Pounds Sterling (inc. vat. is that Latin for something?) this seems like a lot of time fiddling around saved.

They are available at Stafford Vehicle Components in the UK:

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/wiper-motor-14w-brush-and-pad/

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, 06 June, 2012 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And a minor mea culpa: nothing dates faster than an eBay link on a discussion forum!
Here is a picture of the 6W brushes which I should have used instead of posting the link several posts above.

They are larger. Apparently brushes like this are all of the same stuff and it's fairly standard practice to just use what's available and file it to fit.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, 07 June, 2012 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff.

Thank you again, I followed your earlier advice and checked the motor for grease and from that time things have been going a lot better, the wash/wipe works now slow and fast speed works well even the intermittent came on for a while and then dosent. that Stafford vehicle components should be worth a try, I didnt know you were a Jaguar man I have facelift XJS four litre manual needs restored but i dont have time anyway thanks again much appreciated.

Best Regards.bbbbb

Richard.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, 07 June, 2012 - 08:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard - I don't have a Jag but have found some of the on-line info about them is relevant to our cars - especially the Lucas electrics and a tendency to leave puddles of fluids on the floor !!

I'd love to take a spin in an E-type one day though.

Ed from Stafford's has replied to an email I sent him and told me that while he hasn't personally fitted one of these to a 16W motor he has sold them to customers who inform him that they do indeed fit exactly.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2012 - 02:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a further note - the 14W commutator arrived today and fits into the casting exactly; the screw holes are the same. This is not really surprising as the motors in this Lucas series all look the same from the outside.

The brushes seem to be a very little bit larger than the 16W ones, perhaps only because they're new.

When I get my car back, after finishing the radio install and the leather I'll put this one in the motor and see what happens.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2012 - 09:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff.

Thanks again at the moment my wipers are working great apart from the intermittent bit,I am now working at the rear of the car wondering how i am going to replace the rubber boot on the offside drive shaft, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Richard

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2012 - 04:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard when you do replace the boot you will have to pull the whole driveshaft away so dont loose any of the roller bearings or you will be in trouble also dont forget to top up the casing with gear oil.Not like othe cars where the cv joint has grease in our cars its oil.My advice get a mechanic to do the job they don't have to be RR trained mine isn't its a fiddly job,even I wouldnt attempt and I'm an old apprentice mechanic from way back who trained on Ford Anglias and the like! Barry

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, 20 June, 2012 - 07:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Last year I had to work in that area to replace the rear springs. Don't be surprised if all the oil (80W90 or straight 90 weight EP gear oil) has disappeared. According to the workshop manual it can leak into the diff housing. However 'refilling' the boots wasn't as onerous as Barry intimates. With the use of a syringe and a short piece of rubber tubing you can easily insert the necessary 150 or 160 Ml into the boot via the filling port.

The worst part of the job is that the drive shafts are fairly heavy and the joint slippers soon slip out with all the needle roller bearings scattering all over the floor. If that happens you need to know that there are precisely enough needles to completely fill the bearings with no appreciable space for more. A thin smear of lithium or other high melting point grease can help to keep them in place while reassembling the joint. On no account should you use any copper based grease as it's too slippery and can cause the needles to slip rather than roll and thereby wear out faster than they should.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, 21 June, 2012 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Jan.

I have received advice from Barry Brear, David Gore Paul Yorke, and now Your self, All of it Good Stuff I now think I know enough to tackle this Mamoth Operation Time will tell.

Regards.

Richard.