How many hours Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » How many hours « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, 16 May, 2012 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How many hours for a person with limited amount of RR/Bentley experience with a workshop manual would it take to,strip down inlet manifold including valley cover.Then strip down brake pumps clean out 38 years of crud,free up all moving parts replace all seals push rods springs etc etc.Then shim up testing each pump with a micrometer for tolerances.Then replace pumps test again,then reassemble induction manifold,carbys etc etc.Then clean out brake fluid resevoir with 1/2 inch of crud flush out system and replace with fresh fluid.Then tune carbys test brakes,pressures and that all is associated and neccessary.Your thoughts gentlemen.

Nigel Johnson
Frequent User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, 16 May, 2012 - 04:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If I was doing it, about two years.

Regards, Nigel.

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, 16 May, 2012 - 08:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First time to strip down the inlet manifold is probably 4 - 8 hours. Brake pumps a couple of days.

Cleaning reservoir, flushing & bleeding brakes 4 - 8 hours. Carb rebuild would likely be a day, with another 4 - 8 hours to put it all back together. Haven't a clue on tuning.

Those are all estimates for how long it'd take me to do it (reasonable classic car experience; limited RR/Bentley experience). Total of 5 to 8 days.

Jeff.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, 17 May, 2012 - 03:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would also put a week aside for all that.
having said that - my garage mechanics can do it in all in 2 days.
good luck with it.
Omar

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2012 - 07:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankyou gentlemen youv'e been more than helpfulits about what it took 1 week !
Barry

Nigel Johnson
Frequent User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2012 - 08:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done Barry. Geoff and I were working from scratch with no experience of these cars.With advice from Bill Coburn we were able to make forward progress. But, a full and complete overhaul of the entire system is a momumental job. Accumulators, calipers, deceleration valve, brake pumps, cleaning reservoir and renewing certain solid brake pipes and all flexibles does take a bit of time. Not to mention cost.But, we got there in the end.
Regards to all who take these cars to there hearts. Nigel.