Windscreen Wiper help! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Windscreen Wiper help! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

William H. Trovinger II
Grand Master
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, 22 June, 2004 - 03:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok, now that major systems seem to be all running normal (knock on wood) it is time to tackle a few of the little annoying ones. As our spring has been wetter than wet and I feel more like a duck than a human I have decided the first to try and help are my windscreen wipers.

They currently are very slow in starting the first and third pass only go half way to the 12 o’clock position. There seems to be no difference (or very little) between low and high speed. As to the intermittent setting this runs identical to the slow position if at all, as wipers will not start in this position but you can switch to it after wipers are moving.

Any suggestions as where to start? Again this is a ’76 SS I SRE23726

Best regards,
Bill

Larry
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.195.74.199
Posted on Tuesday, 22 June, 2004 - 07:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As the wiper system is turning on and off reliably, maybe cleaning the commutator in the motor & lubricate the moving joints?

Larry
tbird@consultant.com

Martin Taylor
Prolific User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, 22 June, 2004 - 07:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a rotating cam where the crank links to the conrod, this is there to move the wipers off screen when they reverse to park, yours is possibly ceased or the spring has broken.
Clean the commutator as suggested above for more speed and check that it hasn't been over greased as the stuff does not conduct.
The intermittent circuit uses a different park switch to allow the wipers to park on screen this may be dirty.
Martin
http://members.rennlist.com/martintaylor

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, 23 June, 2004 - 02:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Usually, the grease on the wiper cam has simply gone hard with age. A good clean out and refill with fresh grease usually fixes this common problem. You don't even need to remove the motor, just the cap over the cam. As for the commutator and brushes, they may be just as well better left alone for now until the wipers are fully functional. Don't tempt fate by doing too much at once.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, 23 June, 2004 - 09:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard/ An area I haven't had to get involved with but the Spirit has a different system for the wipers. But with my car the difference between fast and slow would have to be determined with a stop watch. Where is the gunk in these systems? As an aside I have always marvelled how the Factory could win the Battle of Britain but from the Shadow on they semed incapable of building a functioning wiper system. My Fords' systems did all the things the Rolls does and never the slightest problem - amazing. Anyway I would like faster wipers as gracious as the present ones may be!!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, 24 June, 2004 - 01:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

The Spirit wipers were indeed fully redesigned using a new lever arrangement and a new motor, but the wiper parking method is the same as on a Shadow. R-R used the same cam and spring method from the first self- off-screen parking wipers introduced on the R-Type etc.

And, yes, the wipers on my Turbo R are rubbish too, despite that fancy innovative pantograph drive on the driver's side. I just don't trust them over 140 km/h.

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.29
Posted on Thursday, 24 June, 2004 - 09:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have updated (Later model) wiper arms on my 911, being the type which have a subtle "air foil" type arrangement which seems to keep the blade/s upon the screen even when I pass Turbo Rs which, dare I assume, must be those slower, but very(very) rare "EFI" versions which I have heard about, but never seen. No problem with intermittent operation either, no doubt due to quality "Bosch" (German!) design and manufacture!. Despite a brand new wiper motor in my Shadow,the wipers have a tendency to park at slightly different points from time to time,however I have not noted any "lift off" at speed,since I have no desire to play "boy racer" in a R-R,lest people think I am rushing to the bank to meet my next instalment. Speaking of wipers, I recently purchased locally (ex new old stock) a brand new,in the box, DR3 motor for my "R" type,date stamped 4/53, one month prior to my car being delivered new in Bournemouth. Such a deal at only $95, even if it is "Lucas".

Harry Kuurio
New User
Username: harry_kuurio

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, 25 June, 2004 - 09:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh Dear oh dear;

The English are so used to the light mist that they don't even notice it...

For the rest of us...:

Look for a Saab 99/early 900 wiper motor at the breakers'... Same Lucas s**t, but better working and wider operating angle (165). Cost: something like a tapfull's at the local's...

Yes, IT IS THE SAME MOTOR! (In practical terms).

The only pitfall is that one has to figure out (including me) what the guys at Crewe had in mind making "false" (there are two!) connectors to the motor - only one is operative! (Pls correct me if I'm wrong...).

Dirty Harry

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.55
Posted on Friday, 25 June, 2004 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good one Harry..I am off to the breakers to buy up those Saab motors. You have "made my day"!. As for the one wire/two conn. with only one operative, I will proceed slowly to figure it out, for as Harry Callahan once noted .."a mans gotta know his limitations!"

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, 25 June, 2004 - 01:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alright you clever fellows. Stop worrying about your Shadows etc and tell me how I can speed up my Spirit wipers. Is there a faster motor or won't the levers etc stand it. My Lexus LX470 on high speed wipe is almost frightening. If the Japanese can do it why can't RR/Lucas/you blokes eh!!! Ok so I don't have Richard's problem at 140 kph but it would help not having to stop with a sudden deluge at 60 kph!