Shadow 1 Passenger seat wont move back. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Shadow 1 Passenger seat wont move back. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
New User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, 10 May, 2012 - 08:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello
My Shadow 1 SHR 19529 has a problem with its passenger front seat it wont move backwards, It will move forward trouble is it is too far forward for comfort Iam looking a simple inexpensive solution, even if I had it back 2 or 3 inches it could stay in that positiuon,wireing diagrams etc would be out of my league. any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards, Richard.

richard george yeaman
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 10 May, 2012 - 08:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi
Sorry SRH 19529 To be correct,

Cheers Richard.

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, 10 May, 2012 - 09:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On the Shadow II/Bentley T2, the seat bottom cushion lifts straight out, allowing access to the mechanism underneath. You should be able to wind the motor backwards by hand at that point -- or grease up the mechanism and it might even move again on its own.

Not sure if the Shadow I/T1 is the same or not. I think the mechanism details changed, but probably not the seat construction.

Jeff.

richard george yeaman
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, 10 May, 2012 - 09:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jeff

I will try your suggestion.

Richard.

Dave Puttock
Experienced User
Username: ariel

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, 10 May, 2012 - 09:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I dont think its as simple as winding by hand. Because it uses one motor to drive a shaft and then one of two or three clutches to select which movement function is connected to the shaft.
It seems to me that if the seat moves forward then the motor at least works in one direction and the appropriate clutch works (unless its stuck on of course). I suggest taking off the seat squab and try some of the other seat movement functions to see if the motor will run in both directions. If so it may be a clutch problem. Otherwise its a motor problem.

richard george yeaman
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, 11 May, 2012 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Dave
Its raining here at the minute cant get my car into the garage i am doing a bit of clearing out so i can get it into the dry I will try your suggestion later.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, 11 May, 2012 - 02:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff
Dave

Tried to move by hand no joy.

Checked motor with independant electrical supply Motor works both ways there is no power comeing from the switch for going backwards but there is a clicking noise, if you move the switch to raise the seat the same clicking noise happens but the seat does not move, if i move the switch for lowering the seat no clicking noise and no lowering,atleast the motor works any thoughts would be appreciated,Thank you for your input

Richard.

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, 11 May, 2012 - 02:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

I haven't yet gotten in to mine, so this is all second-hand knowledge. But as I understand it, the "clutches" are essentially a threaded nut cut in half: if you squeeze it together then it grips the threaded rod, and if you don't, the threaded rod just turns past them.

The basic design is one motor and one threaded rod, and then separate clutches for the different directions. So if you squeeze the fore/aft clutch together, then the motor moves the seat fore/aft.

Since the seat does go forward and not backward, and the motor does go both directions, I don't think it's the fore/aft clutch or the motor: more likely the seat runner is just too clogged with old grease, carpet hairs, etc. You could try squeezing the clutch harder with your hand (it's the thing that's clicking) and see if that helps, but if the seat runner is really clogged then it will just bog the motor down.

My seats currently have the same issue, but if I put both feet on the back of the footwell and push hard while running the motor I can get them to (just) move backwards.

Jeff.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, 11 May, 2012 - 03:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff

I think i have a switch problem,Power to move motor forward, no power to move motor back,I only got the motor to go back by useing a Power pack battery, If one clutch is used to move the seat up and a different one to lower the seat it only leaves one to do both forward and back movements I didnt know how the clutches operated thank you for info i will try squeezing one to see what happens.

Richard.

Hubert Kelly
New User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, 11 May, 2012 - 07:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, on (my 1968 RR) the driver side (seat) the motor sounds like its about to die on the reverse mode. If memory is correct, I moved the seat while sitting on it, with gentle persausion as if one were moving a manually operated car seat. I rarely operate this function, following correct positioning of same. If it's the switch ie. the chrome one, and your down South I have one, but let me know as I have the old girl on donedeal.ie(1971 I bought for parts some time ago.
Good luck with it.
H.K.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, 11 May, 2012 - 08:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Hubert

Thank you for input if i could get this seat into a reasonable position i would be quite happy to disconect the wireing just in case someone ever moved it again.

Richard

Brian Vogel
Frequent User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, 11 May, 2012 - 01:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Always, always, always suspect that relays could be possible for any of a wide range of issues in our cars, this one included.

I had several seat movement weirdnesses in my '78 Shadow II (the details of which now elude me, it's been 5 years) but I do remember that changing out a relay solved it.

The clicking sound could be a relay, and I recently had a relay in a '79 SW-II that was working fine internally but the rivet connection holding the slide connection on to the relay was pretty much no longer allowing for reliable power transmission.

Brian, who's not a fan of Lucas, particularly Lucas relays

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, 11 May, 2012 - 07:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff.
Dave.
Hubert
Brian
Thank you this seems to be quite a common fault with these old cars and hard to diagnose exactly what the problem is, However i will keep trying and what ever knoledge is gained will help someone else.

Richard.

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, 11 May, 2012 - 08:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ha! Just noticed that Richard (and Hubert) are in Ireland (as am I). And here we all are, talking to each other on an Aussie forum. ;)

Richard, if you don't manage to sort it you're welcome to bring it down (I'm near Dunleer, Co Louth) and we'll see if we can't figure it out. I'm reasonably competent with wiring diagrams and a multi-meter.

Cheers,
Jeff.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, 11 May, 2012 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff
Dave
Hubert
Brian
Success!! got the seat to move back, I used a battery from a 12 volt cordless drill one side to earth the other to power the reverse side of the motor i turned the ignition to accesories and with the motor running i pulled the switch back and bingo the seat moved backwards at a fast rate of knots, thanks to you all for your help which i appreciate enormously.

Jeff and hubert thank you for you offer of personal help i wonder how many more Forum users are from ireland.

Cheers Richard.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 845
Posted on Monday, 14 May, 2012 - 06:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

richard, sounds like it may be a switch fault.

each switch position has two contacts , one for the motor, one for the clutch. Either contact can be come poor connection.

With care the switch can be removed, the cover around it (some sort of resin impregnated card? ) and the points cleaned or adjusted.

leave all the wires connected and test whilst repairing it.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, 14 May, 2012 - 07:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul thank you.

It seems like a (\\\\) of a job getting the switch out, it also dosent rise or lower either, I will give it another go and see if i can get it fixed properly,I have another problem with my car ATF leaking from front area of gearbox could do with a few pointers about that also.

Cheers Richard.

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, 14 May, 2012 - 05:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

I can't remember where the dipstick tube enters, but I imagine it's near the front, and a common fault is for the o-ring that seals it into the gearbox pan to get misplaced when the pan is dropped (to clean the intake strainer). You might check to see if the leak is in that area.

The hoses to the transmission oil cooler (in the radiator) would be my second guess.

Cheers,
Jeff.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, 14 May, 2012 - 06:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff thank you.

The dripping seems to be comeing from the area above or around the rear part of the subframe and is a good healthy pink colour,there is also a lesser engine oil leak inthe same area any help would be appreciated.

Richard.

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, 14 May, 2012 - 07:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Yeah, mine drips fairly handily from the subframe crossbar as well (although only engine oil). Unfortunately my car is currently in Wales nearing the end of a bare-metal respray, so I can't look at it for reference to remember where things are.

Still, I would expect a missing dipstick tube o-ring leak to drip off the bottom of the transmission pan, not from higher up or more forward. So I'd suspect the transmission oil cooler hoses. (There are hard lines mounted to the chassis that go most of the distance up to the radiator, but there are short flexible hoses between the tranny and the hard lines. Can you see if the leak is near there?)

If not, start another thread on this forum with an updated title and someone else with more knowledge (or a car at hand to look at) should chime in....

Cheers,
Jeff.

richard george yeaman
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, 14 May, 2012 - 07:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Jeff.

will do, Looking forward to seeing the Photos when you get your car back, I am sure you miss all the spannering and polishing.

Cheers
Richard.