Ballast Resistor? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Ballast Resistor? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.249.48.136
Posted on Wednesday, 28 March, 2012 - 05:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning all from sunny England. Tried to access the wiring diagrams on this site but it only throws up chassis No. 9000 onwards. I am trying to find out if there is a ballast resistor in the low tension circuit of the ignition system on a 4000 series Shadow 1. If so what form does it take, a ceramic block or piece of resistive wire> The problem I am trying to sort is of a friends early Shadow chassis No. circa 4400. The car fires up when cranking but will not run once the ignition key is in the 'run' position as opposed to starting position. I presumed there was no feed to the coil and so checked with a meter. In the 'cranking/start' position I get battery voltage which drops to 2.5volts in the 'run' switch position. My diagnosis appeared correct but where is the ballast resistor, I assume it has one. The car previously ran perfectly with the fault appearing overnight. Any other suggestions as to why there is very low supply voltage to the coil? Richard? It is an early 'deep dash' model,1968, i.e large 'deep' wooden dash with centrally mounted ignition switch as opposed to the heavily padded dash version that came in a few years into production. Any suggestions appreciated chaps!
P.S I have to congratulate the RROC(A) on excellent provision and support unlike the RREC that simply will do nothing to help and does it's best to relieve you of yet more money, they seem to have forgotten what the club was supposed to be about.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.249.48.138
Posted on Wednesday, 28 March, 2012 - 09:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Further to my last new thread on ballast resistor I suddenly realised it may well be a faulty relay, particularly if the usual Lucas 6RA is employed. Any ideas where the suspect relay would be found?

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, 16 April, 2012 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Adrian,
You've probably solved the problem by now, but anyway...
The fault would certainly appear to be an open circuit ballast resistor which is usually a ceramic block mounted near the coil. However early Shadows (prior to 5001) do not have ballast resistors, and the voltage connection to the coil is direct from the ignition switch and is the same whether cranking or ignition switch on. No relay is involved.
Incidentally circuit diagrams for cars prior to 5001 are included in the Post War Technical Library on this site, TSD 004 then Workshop Manual 1965-76 then Wiring Diagrams Part 1.