Hot idle compensator Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Hot idle compensator « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mujahid Khan
New User
Username: anjumkha

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 17 June, 2004 - 08:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen:
Good Morning.

SSII 1977 SRF 30074

When the car is running on ambient engine temp,the idling slows down at stop lights, as a result, I the yellow oil lamp starts to flicker and the AC stutters.

My rookie diagnosis, at this point, is that I may have a dirty hot idle compensator.

What is the correct procedure to rectify the problem?

Kindest regards

M Khan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry Kuurio
New User
Username: harry_kuurio

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 17 June, 2004 - 01:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi M Khan;

Before you proceed too far, check that the hot idle is ok on "Park" i.e. on "rest". Take a while too see where the idle speed sets itself. It could be just an idling speed set too low. Also, you might have an air leak in the intake system (after) the carbs; poss just one side (?).

Ignition (I hate that word nowadays!!!), including all the spark plugs & leads plus timing right? Retard / advance hoses ok?

Ok; if that all seems to be ok you could be facing a hot idle compensator problem as suggested.

Please, let us know how it does!

Dirty Harry & Silver Coffin