Leaking Height Control Valve 1975 Sha... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Leaking Height Control Valve 1975 Shadow LRD20648 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carl Jensen
Experienced User
Username: carl_jensen

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2012 - 05:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Everyone. My left-rear height control valve has started to leak around the operating shaft. I recently blanked off the entire rear self-leveling system since its maintenance had become so costly (and constant) and I already have the stiffer rear springs installed to help compensate.

I left the hydraulic system depressurized last night so no high pressure was being fed to the valve, but it still leaked a nice little puddle from the operating shaft overnight. It even had the gall to drip on my face today while I was inspecting it.

Does this leak persist due to the remaining hydraulic fluid in the rams pushing back into the height control valve due to the weight of the car on the rear wheels? If so, should I just wait for it to finish leaking over time? Any additional thoughts or advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl

Carl Jensen
Experienced User

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, 21 March, 2012 - 08:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well darn. I guess I'll go ahead and throw some new seals on the operating shaft (I checked out new shafts since I guess this one is worn, but they are $300 each) and hopefully that will seal the leak, wherever it is coming from.

Carl

Hubert Kelly
Yet to post message
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 21 March, 2012 - 07:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Carl, I replaced the left (height control seals)on the valve some time last year. The repair kit was approx. £24stg plus postage, it was easy enough to fit , once the valve was removed from the car.However I trashed the seal lifting the "arm" of the valve to the chassis (opening the valve ie pushing up or lifting arm toward car as opposed to the ground). In doing so, high pressure fluid, rushed to the ram, hyper extending the ram causing seal to bust.Replaced with new seal.. works fine now. ps. I photographed seal removal, which aided assembly. Seal repair kit available from flyingspares.com or introcar.com
H Kelly

Carl Jensen
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, 21 March, 2012 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Hubert. I have the seal kit and will install today. I appreciate the advice. Carl.

Brian Vogel
Frequent User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, 22 March, 2012 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I find it quite strange that you're having ongoing issues with leaking if the height control system is actually blanked off.

There certainly could be some residual fluid that could leak from the rams, but it shouldn't be "perpetual". If you're continuing to get leakage you had ought to make certain that your blanking actually sealed off the system. It seems rather a shame to be rebuilding height control valves unless that system will actually be used, and unnecessary, too.