SS II ignition problem Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » SS II ignition problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry Kuurio
Yet to post message
Username: harry_kuurio

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 09 June, 2004 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

Let's try once more:

Well, so my dizzy is out now and I'm about to hear the verdict very soon. This is the late '70s electronic dizzy with no points.

Timing wheel (plastic) is gone, that for sure. It's no longer round.

Should the original ign unit be "fried", could anyone please tell if there's a good, proven conversion available that will reside inside the dizzy, as does the original?

I've been told that "Lumenition" and "Piranha" conversions usually need quite a bit fiddling to co-op with the original dizzy's mechanics, AND that they are actually "cheap crap", though they work (for a while).

This was told to me by a fuel injection/ignition expert, who has been dealing with these things, running his own biz, before I had driving license! And he still does, doing dizzy work for rally/racing cars as well. I tend to pay close attention to what he tells me...

So, as the dizzy is out now, I'll try to make the best out of the situ and put things really right for good in this regard.

Please, all you fellow enthusists, let me know of your relating experiences!

Harry

John Wright
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.61.64.104
Posted on Saturday, 12 June, 2004 - 09:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry,

My experience with my Shadow II (SRH 35475) is that the original unit is the not so cheap rubbish. Two failed on me, although I have done high mileage in this car (560,200 km )to date. I have fitted a Piranna system and this has worked quite well, although the conversion is more complicated than some. It is also important to keep the wiring length the same in this unit. Talking to NBS Services in Brisbane , who service my Shadow II, they recommend PETRONIX. This is an American electronic unit which fits inside the original distributor and requires little effort to fit.Their experience is that these are a very reliable unit but are not as cheap as some
others.

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.40
Posted on Sunday, 13 June, 2004 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will probably be "corrected" but my information is that the excellent U.S "Pertronix" unit is not (yet) available for Shadow 11s. Yes, available for Shadow 1 but not the 2. For the SS11 I understand that you use the original or "Pirahna" or "Lumenition" types. I have "Pertronix" units in my Shadow 1 and "R" type Bentley along with Spin-on oil filters and "Filter-Mag". Oh-WHAT a FEELING!. PS; Maybe "Pertronix" HAS been made available recently for SS11?

Harry Kuurio
New User
Username: harry_kuurio

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 17 June, 2004 - 01:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pertronix has the "Ignitor" or "Ignitor II". Probably better value than "Lumenition" or "Piranha". Pertronix's catalogue on ign parts does not seem to reach the year we are living (is that a good sign or not - it's now 6-04?).

They don't have e-mails on the net; one has to fax to them. That is what I'll do after I've bought my first Lada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lumenition and Piranha are most probably better than the original, as you suggested David, and less expensive. The problem is, that the Lumenition does not fit inside the dizzy. Piranha is mechanics-wise harder to install (so I've been told). Original is easy to replace, but as unreliable as the original-original!

Is this really a (half) dead end for SSII owners?

Harry