Wheel Bearings Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Wheel Bearings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Lagden
Frequent User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, 23 January, 2012 - 06:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello to all enthusiasts, I have read many a thread re the bearings but have a simple question really, as I am about to drive SRH19305 (Silver Shadow) all the way to our new home in Maroochydore Queensland from Sydney. The Old Girl will get an oil service and have the belts checked, everything else is in good nick. But I have just noticed when taking her out for a spin yesterday a squeaking from the front left, never noticed before as I have always driven, but this time my wife drove the car and I did notice it. These can be very annoying and get my mind racing and the $ signs revving up and me breaking into a cold sweat. Would I perhaps be right in thinking it could be a bearing that needs changing? I have had the wheel off, spun that and don't hear a thing, cleaned it all but then the squeaking appears again after approx a 15 min drive, that's why I think bearings - or am I just being paranoid?

thanks for advice

Benoit Leus
Experienced User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, 23 January, 2012 - 07:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kevin,

a failed bearing would normally make a rumbling sound (altough squealing is not unheard of). With the car jacked up, try moving the wheel horizontally and vertically. Is there any play in it ?
Is the squeaking continuous or only when driving over irregularities in the road ?

Benoit

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Monday, 23 January, 2012 - 08:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My guess is dust impregnated brake pads - take both front wheels off and check each caliper to ensure there is adequate friction material between the disc and pad backing plate. If the thickness is OK, try getting a strong hose jet into the brake calipers and give the pads a good wash. Take the car to a safe place and do a number of hard stops from 80/100Km/hr until you can smell the hot brake pads.

Drive the car home normally and allow the brakes to cool on the way. After arriving home, let the car stand until the brakes are completely cold and then repeat the washing out with the hose. Take the car for a gentle drive with soft brake applications for 5/10 minutes to dry the brakes out.

The above procedure definitely does not work if the pads have worn down to the metal backing plate. hence the importance of the initial check for adequate friction material.