Shadow 2 rear hum. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Shadow 2 rear hum. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pat Lockyer
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.122.218.236
Posted on Monday, 31 May, 2004 - 04:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At my daughters wedding i was driven in the rear of both my Shadows 1 and 2.
To the church in the "Silver" shadow 1.all ok.
And driven to the reception in the shadow 2.
Now what is that i can detect sitting in the rear seat at exactly 40 mph a very slight buzz or the start of the hum!
At 45mph the noise has gone.
This cannot be detected in the front of the car so not a loud type of sound.
the car has travelled about 45000 miles from new.
A trip to the builder merchant is needed hear i think?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, 01 June, 2004 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pat,

That sounds about right.

Only a trained ear should be able to detect any crown and pinion noise, and even then only without conversation and with the CD turned off.

Your SSII has very few miles, and plenty of time for the slight buzz to bed its way out in a bit more time.

Once you are satisfied with it, I would recommend that you drain its axle, and already your SS(I)'s axle, and refill with synthetic hypoid oil and they will last forever silently with no further oil changes. Hit me on this one if you must !!

RT.

Pat Lockyer
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.131.62.169
Posted on Tuesday, 01 June, 2004 - 04:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard sound words and my thoughts as well.
Just for the record with the builders merchants i had the idea of useing a aerosol spray of insulation round the diff to make sure it was the diff and not a hub or mount noise.Of course it would have to have some cooling holes and make sure the breather is clear.

Peter Senn
New User
Username: peter

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 02 June, 2004 - 05:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a thought, my Shadow 1 SRH 15410 had a similar noise that came in a 80 klm/h and faded at about 85. After re-filling both trunions with the required 50 ml of oil as part of checking and changing the transmission fluids, the noise has dissappeared. Peter