Petrol fumes in cabin Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Petrol fumes in cabin « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Lagden
Experienced User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, 23 September, 2011 - 06:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Managed to get my spark plugs out and in again, thanks to Garth and Warren at Repair and Restoration. It would seem one of the old sparks was put in incorrectly and gnawed away at the lining so a new one was installed, drilled etc, so thanks to these "doctors" of the brand.
anyway, I notice now a slight petrol smell in the cabin when driving, checked all the usual spots but no leaks or cracks in hoses, although I do notice a slight smell of petrol from the weakener filter located just to the left of the brake fluid reservoir. picture attached The tech manual features the USA preferred method of a filter attachment with an evaporation control cannister,which of course my one does not have. It would appear that petrol odours simply disappear into the engine bay. Is this perhaps the cause of the smell? or am I missing a part there.
also attached a picture of the t junction of pipes going to the weakener and then into the carb, no retaining clips, is this usual? as the one that goes into the carb housing is easy to pull off. and finally a general picture of the engine bay, all in all, in reasonably good order.

(Message edited by david_gore on 23 September 2011)

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, 23 September, 2011 - 06:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin,

My weakener filter is mounted more at a 45° angle to yours so that the intake is much closer to the fender. Perhaps that lets more of the vapour out at the bonnet edge, but I'd lay odds that the source of your problem is at the other end of the car.

Does your boot smell of petrol, and does the petrol smell in the cabin get worse when you open a window? If so, it's probably drawing fumes in from the boot. Paul found some cracked and split petrol tank breathers on mine which were the culprit.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Kevin Lagden
Frequent User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, 23 September, 2011 - 06:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cant say that I have noticed when I open a window but will try again tomorrow and then investigate the breathers

Thanks

Kevin