Overnight Hydraulic Pressure Loss 197... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Overnight Hydraulic Pressure Loss 1975 Shadow LRD20648 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carl Jensen
Experienced User
Username: carl_jensen

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2011 - 04:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My hydraulic circuit #1 (front calipers of front brakes, upper calipers of rear wheels, lower brake distribution valve, G Valve) loses pressure overnight and takes a while (maybe 60 seconds or so) for the warning lamp to extinguish the next morning after the car has been started. This problem has been building slowly over some months and was not there previously. Circuit #2 is fine.

I recently replaced the accumulator (changed the sphere only) but the problem persists. My guage seems to indicate that the accumulator is OK (about 800 psi flick-up pressure or whatever it is called, then goes up to about 2200psi and then back down a bit). I also isolated the pump/accumulator by attaching the gauge overnight to the braided output hose from the accumulator - the pressure of about 2000psi held fine overnight.

I'm not sure where to go from here since there are no visible leaks and I can't find in the manuals how to diagnose where the pressure is being lost if the accumulator is OK. If anyone has an idea on where I can go from here it would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 783
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2011 - 07:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Are the braided hoses definitely going to the correct systems? Sometimes they get swapped when people fit accumulators etc.

Stefan Morley
Grand Master
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2011 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Carl,

Different model and fluid but assume there are similarities. I had a hassle for a while after I replaced my accumulators. Back was more difficult than the front but after Re-bleeding the system a couple of times it has righted itself. Found a once off bleed got rid of most of the problem but a couple of weeks later noticed the problem was back. Done that twice since and no further hassles thats been about two years.

The second and third bleeds it was more fine bubbles as opposed to the first bleed being literally air. Don't know why when the problem seems initially fixed it steadily gets worse again. But mine seems fixed now.

Cheers
Stefan

Carl Jensen
Experienced User
Username: carl_jensen

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, 17 September, 2011 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul and Stefan for your comments. It took me quite a while to nail this one down. Two things appeared to be contributing to the pressure loss overnight.

I was getting a lot of minute air bubbles (aeration?) which was caused by a loose fitting where RR363 from the reservoir enters the front pump. Second, the pressure switch was sticking and was sometimes giving me false warnings that the pressure was too low. Between the two the problem now appears to be fixed.

Thanks again for your comments. Although it turned out to be simple stuff (I was especially worried that the brake distribution valve for the circuit was messed up), it was hard for me to get this figured out.

Carl

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 795
Posted on Saturday, 17 September, 2011 - 04:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

:-) Great news!