Faster Power Windows? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Faster Power Windows? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wayne Wardman
Experienced User
Username: wayne_wardman

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, 23 August, 2011 - 03:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had my Shadow's doors apart for other reasons, but took it upon myself to ascertain whether the slow motion of all but the driver widow was a function of poor current as I had read somewhere.

In Mythbuster form, I set of to my Auto Electrician.

Well, it did prove to be a myth.

Even direct application of a 12 volt source to each motor gave NO improvement.

I hope this saves member some cash and trouble

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, 23 August, 2011 - 06:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've found that the windows on SRH24518 move quite a bit faster when the engine is running. Since the battery is less than a year old I put it down to most of the electrical system seeing over 14 volts from the output of the alternator. However there could still be a fair voltage drop along the length of cable(s) used if they're not up to the current demands, and a poor earth contact anywhere could give much the same results.
Another thing that can speed them up is the application of a spray of silicone furniture polish applied directly to the inside of the glass runners on a fairly regular basis. Fortunately it's reasonably good at shrugging off rainwater with me living in Yorkshire!

(Message edited by got_one on 23 August 2011)

Brian Vogel
Experienced User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, 23 August, 2011 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are many different factors that can (and often do) contribute to slow windows and lack of sufficient current is definitely one of them. One thing that is often overlooked is how messy "the works" get from age and, very often, lack of use.

Jon Waples covers all this very well in his book The Shadow Owners' Companion and I know many people who have used the Window Lift Improvement by Richard Treacy to stunning success. This, of course, after they had cleaned and lubed everything, which in and of itself helps, too.

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, 24 August, 2011 - 02:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Since I 'dropped on' to a brand new set of 4 coaxial speakers for a mere BBT 10 I'll be delving into the doors on The Old Girl (yet again) quite soon. Since some of the windows have packed in once more I'll be retracing and replacing a lot of the wiring anyway, but this time I'll be using a much heavier weight of cable on the assumption that the voltage drop along it should improve the speed of them. I'll let you know what my impressions are after I've accomplished the task.