Shadow I Choke stuck open Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Shadow I Choke stuck open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Hunt
New User
Username: acebass

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2011 - 05:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

I've had my Shadow for over a year, with no isses, taking her out at the weekend. To cut a long story short my Commodore is in for repair so I have to use the Roller every day this week.

The choke is stuck open. I understand that it is a common issue. The previous owner had a horizontal mark which is where the choke should line up, but its stuck open. It stinks of petrol and I cant get the choke to close.

As this is a common fault I am wondering if any of you kind people would be able to help me understand how to gt it to return to its normal position.

I tried a gentle press but its not budging.

I am worried that it might damage something if I run it to work tomorrow as it is.

Thanks

Matt

Matthew Hunt
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2011 - 06:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

I should requalify that it is the "arm" that is attached to the air intake that is stuck open. Not sure what this is as I am an ambitious amateur, is it a vacuum of some description?

I am stressed......

Thanks

Matt

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 765
Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2011 - 06:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Matthew,

is the lever stuck up or down?

The throttle pedal/linkage needs to be depressed for it to go down.

Pre-injection cars need the accelerator pedal pressed down a couple of times to set the choke before cranking.

It is operated by a Bi-Metallic spring. which turns the flap closed when cold (lever downwards) and slowly lifts it as it gets hotter. It gets it's heat from the small pipes (covered) that go to the exhaust manifold. (opposite side to the lever)

Good Luck.

Matthew Hunt
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2011 - 06:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul

Its stuck in the "up" position.

maybe I am sending a red herring in here, are you saying that it will be in the up/open position when the engine is hot?

If thats the case, will it close when the engine cools?

I'm sorry to ask daft questions, I am an ambitious amateur, not a mechanic

I do my best

thanks

Matt

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 766
Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2011 - 06:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Matt, it will be up when hot.

It will stay up even when the engine is cold, until you press the accelerator. this allows the lever to drop, flap to close, fast idle cam to set.

:-)

It's better to ask before you take it apart!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2378
Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2011 - 09:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

The choke is stuck open. I understand that it is a common issue.

Hardly true.

Sometimes the stove pipe circuit is ruptured inside the B-bank exhaust maifold or just the pipes are split. Othertimes the choke bimetallic spring is dislocated or broken during a hamfisted service. Worth a look. Normally these choke systes are unbelievably reliable.

RT.