Temperature flap actuator Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Temperature flap actuator « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave Puttock
Experienced User
Username: ariel

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, 05 August, 2011 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The lower temperature flap actuator on my 1971 Shadow 1, (SRH11682) has a small micro switch which is operated by a lobe on the actuator arm. I only know this because I found a bit of the microswitch arm on the floor. Replacing the switch does not look like an easy task, but as I have a few on the shelf I am quite prepared to do it, but can anyone explain what it is supposed to do.
The circuit diagram shows a switch in the lead to terminal 4. I presume that this is the same, but I can't find anything about what it does.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Saturday, 06 August, 2011 - 09:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dave,

There should be 5 microswitches located on a notched cam on the actuator motor shaft which are linked to the respective control switches to allow appropriate adjustment of the flaps to suit the system setting by the driver.

These switches open and close the power feed to the actuator motor. If you go to the technical library and download Volume 5 of the high resolution version of TSD2476, section 14 has the theoretical wiring diagram for the 1972 specification cars which should be very similar to your chassis number. The A/C system wiring is on the last page of sheet 1 and has the wiring colour codes which you will need for correct installation of the switches.

I trust you will be replacing all the microswitches and diodes on both the LH and RH actuators as a preventative maintenance measure.

Dave Puttock
Experienced User
Username: ariel

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2011 - 05:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I didn't find 5 microswitches. On the actuator I am looking at, instead of the conventional actuator arm, this one looks more like a boomerang, fixed to the spindle at its mid point and having a lobe on one end which contacts a microswitch at a certain point in its rotation. This seems to be a repeat of what is going on inside the actuator, but there is only one of them. I replaced it on Sunday, it took me a whole day and while my grazed knuckles are recovering I'd still like to understand why its there. By the way 'all' my diodes are new.