Fitting Lumenition Electronic Ignition Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Fitting Lumenition Electronic Ignition « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Experienced User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, 16 July, 2011 - 03:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

I am in the middle of fitting a Lumenition electronic ignition and am facing following problem :

The fitting manual recommends connecting a red wire, coming from the ignition module, to the ignition wire, going into the ballast resistor. They don't say anything about removing the ballast resistor or the other wires.

However, I found some very comprehensive fitting instructions on a german website ( http://www.exoticars.de/forums/rolls-royce/lumenition/lumen_d.html ) where they remove the ballast resistor completely, and only use the white ignition wire. The other wires (1 yellow & 1 black/white) are redudant. Could this be correct ?
To make things more complicated, on my car all the wires going into the ballast resistor are black/white, so which one is the ignition wire ?

Regards,

Benoit

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 756
Posted on Sunday, 17 July, 2011 - 08:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Benoit,

Your ignition coil is rated at about 9 volt continuous. The ballast resistor cuts down the cars 12v to 9v.

When you crank the car and the starter motor is taking a high load, the ballast resistor is by passed. This allows as much voltage as possible to the coil so you get a good spark.

The coil side of the ballast resistor has a wire going to the coil. This is the 9v running voltage and the 12v 'cranking feed'. The other wire is the ignition feed which is what the luminition unit needs.

If you remove the ballast resistor you will also need to fir a 12v (non ballast) coil or it will overheat.

Removing the ballast resistor eliminates one more item that may be or become faulty. However I have never seen a faulty one.

I hope that helps a little. :D

( Personally I'm not convinced of the benefits of replacing the ignition module with Luminition now that upgraded Opus units are available. )

Benoit Leus
Experienced User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, 18 July, 2011 - 01:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul.

I know about the upgraded Opus units and would have mounted one, but a contact in the motor industry got me a Lumenition with a massive discount.
I'll see what it gives and if i'm not pleased I can always by a new Opus unit.

Benoit

smokydave
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 75.117.71.64
Posted on Thursday, 23 August, 2012 - 09:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know where one could buy an after market distributor for a 69 silver shadow I have MSD ignition trigered by the points in old distributor and now my bushings are worn out and the points are not opening at proper time I would love to have an electronic distributor that would fit the shadow

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Wallace
Yet to post message
Username: smokydave

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 29 August, 2012 - 09:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have heard mentioned a Mallory dist that will fit the 1969 silver shadow but I don't seem to be able to obtain a part # can any one help?

Philip Sproston
New User
Username: phil2025

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 03 September, 2012 - 03:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David In AUSTRAILA you can by brand new HEI Distributor using Bosch parts from Excelsior garage (0418266631) or Bob Chapman (03 97203997) can be with or without Vac.Can stop fouling spark pulgs.Better starting,More power,etc.A lot of testing was done to get them right.