Pressure control valve AKA frequency ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Pressure control valve AKA frequency valve « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

denis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 205.188.116.76
Posted on Sunday, 25 April, 2004 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good day everyone,
Recently I have notice that the pressure control valve on The Silver Sled, SRL41534C is beginning to leak a bit. I have a new one in hand and have been looking at how to get at this marvolous device to change it. I can see it, I can touch it but I can't get wrenches to it to change. Any ideas?

Many thanks to all...denis

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.149
Posted on Monday, 26 April, 2004 - 06:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Dennis, re TSS (The Silver Sled) can you please advise in a little more detail, the i.d of the valve which you mention, as I do not know precisely, which one you are referring to. I DO like the name you have for your motor car which I assume is silver in color!.

denis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 152.163.252.194
Posted on Monday, 26 April, 2004 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
The offending part is shown in the emission control section of the shop manual, section U, fig U17, part 5. I think this is only on cars with fuel injection, such as mine. It's on the left hand side viewed from the laughing lady.
I really do not want to remove the distributor, since I used all my luck up the last time I replaced a distributor on my old 73 Super Beetle many years ago.
So close, yet so far....sigh....
The Silver Sled is Silver with red fine lines and some day in the future the sides will be returned to black as they were from the factory.
denis

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.19
Posted on Wednesday, 28 April, 2004 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dennis, I have spoken to an acknowledged R-R expert here re your problem. We gather you are in the USA (or have a U.S spec. car) and are familiar with the particular part which you mention and also its purpose/operation etc. We do not however, have a similair spec. S/Shadow here to enable direct visual assessment of your own particular accessibility problem. Fuel injected S/Spirits here (in Aust.) have this and related "control" equipment, and some of these parts CAN be awkward to access. Can only suggest patience and dexterity to win the day. Good Luck!

denis
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 30 April, 2004 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
Yes, I'm in the US, Pennsylvania to be exact. I would not be suprised that this part is endemic to all later cars with fuel injection.
I spent about three and a half hours leaning over/sitting on top the engine to remove and replace this part. My hands show it. At least now I don't see and smell gas.

denis

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.114
Posted on Friday, 30 April, 2004 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dennis; Pleased to see that you have replaced the part and I trust that your Silver Sled is now running as it should. Whenever I complain about difficulties re accessibility on R-R/B engines I am told rather dryly, that "no-one said it would be easy!". Regards.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, 30 April, 2004 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A bit of apochrypha. Accessability in the field of Rolls-Royce - there is an oximoran there somewhere! Anyway I seem to recall a technical instructional paper was issued by the Factory eons ago for which the topic was removing the brake servo from the side of a pre-war gearbox. It concluded after describing the obvious things to remove etc with words to the effect of 'Any competent mechanic with inherant experience with these cars should have little difficulty in extricating the mechanism'. In practice apparently you required the seven fingers of a Martian, the stalked eyes of a Mercurian and the patience of an inhabitant of Uranus to extract the thing. Such presumptious impertinent and pompous inexactitude surely deserves a toast on May the fourth!

denis
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 01 May, 2004 - 09:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, Bill,

The engine is running quite nicely now, but in the fall I am going to pull the injectors and have them gone over. At the same time the valve cover gaskets will be replaced. The sled tends to mark it's territory. While that is going on I am thinking about replacing the front and rear struts. I hear a lot of "thunking" while I am driving in the pot holes we call roads here in Pittsburgh.
I may have to post a picture of the Silver Sled for you to see.
You think these are hard to work on, try working on an IBM Selectric typewriter.

denis