Air Trunking Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Air Trunking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2011 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This has been the bane of my life for over a year - the big air trunking that goes from the air filter to the centre air horn, that is. I've repaired and repaired and ... until I'm sick of the sight of it. On contacting a breaker I was told that just the shorter part of it (used) would be £(GBP)100 + delivery + tax Not ruddy likely!

How it used to look

and how it looks now

Acting on a tip from my LPG fitter I went into a local hardware 'superstore' (B&Q) and bought a length of light alloy trunking of almost the correct internal diameter, 100mm.

Here's a pic of the bit I cut off to make it fit.

As it's very thin it can easily be cut to length with a sharp hobby knife. For the same reason it's easily crushed so the Jubilee clips have only been nipped up enough to stop it slipping. Also it may not last long in use, although straight from the packaging it can be shortened by about 10% or lengthened by up to 100%. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if it seems to be failing too quickly. However at under £(GBP)8 for the one length (which could be stretched to make 2 of them) if it only lasts a year it will be well worthwhile. How it would last if cut in 2 prior to use will have to wait until this one gives way.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2011 - 08:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,

To make the substitution less noticeable, get a spray can of matt black automotive paint, remove the ducting and hang it from a suitable support so you can move around it and spray away. Leave to dry for a couple of hours before reinstalling.

I think you will find the ducting will last a lot longer than you think - the major problem will be denting from accidental impact when you doing other maintenance in the engine bay.

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2011 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hadn't really thought about the cosmetics as the trunking isn't something that's readily visible when driving her around. However I may yet do that as there's a couple of other things - like the suspension top plates - that could also do with a quick coat of black paint.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Wednesday, 11 May, 2011 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wish that you had asked first.

Clarke’s Rubber sells 100mm trunking by the metre and it is almost perfect. Short of the real thing, that black stuff with the correct spiral wire reinforcement looks almost authentic. You may use it on S2 cars through SZs. I put a section on an S3 Conti a few weeks ago and you cannot fault it. I have the expensive original on our T-Series, around £450 15 years ago (see below), but have just put a section of the Clarke’s trunking on my Turbo R this morning (also pictured). It looks so correct that I shalln’t order a genuine one this time. And yes, a 1972 Bentley T-Series has Rolls-Royce rocker covers as original equipment.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2313
Posted on Wednesday, 11 May, 2011 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

PS most truck shops also sell suitable trunking. Next time you pass a B-Double on the Hume you will see why.

Also, Clarke's sells a suitable size for the Silver Shadow lower inlet trunking (60mm ??). However, I bought a perfect preformed one of the exact dimensions for another Silver Shadow last week at AusHozes in Fyshwick, Canberra. PS most truck shops also sell suitable trunking. Next time you pass a B-Double on the Hume you will see why.

Also, Clarke's sells a suitable size for the Silver Shadow lower inlet trunking (60mm ??). However, I bought a perfect preformed one of the exact dimensions for another Silver Shadow last week at AusHose in Fyshwick, Canberra. I pretended that I needed it for a farm generator (NEVER go to a generic shop and admit that you need a part for a R/R or B!!), but the salesman said “Bollocks, it’s for a Rolls-Royce”, so he has sold a few beforehand.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2316
Posted on Wednesday, 11 May, 2011 - 01:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, Jan, there will be no Clarke's or AusHose in South Yorkshire !! Clarke's is mainly a swimming pool components shop with outlets throughout Australia. Swimming pool systems use the ducting extensively, so a UK swimming pool shop will surely stock it, as will a lorry repair shop.

Incidentally, for those with older cars: Clarkes stocks an extensive range of weatherstrip extrusions by the length. For example, they have the windscreen seal section for MkVI and R-Types. I also replaced the weatherstrip around the boot of my R-Type with a Clarke's section when I resprayed it last week.

RT.

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, 11 May, 2011 - 06:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the tip chums, I'll keep an eye out for some of the rubber stuff if I should ever wander into a truck repair outlet. Unfortunately they tend to be back street operations in the UK and hardly high profile. Swimming pool shops are almost non-existant: We don't have the climate for outdoor pools and indoor ones are beyond most people's financial reach. At least this stuff is doing the job until then.

However, when I needed a new air filter last year, I took the old one into a local car spares stockist and he came back with one off a Foden/Ford truck (I forget which) of identical dimensions! Only the more impecunious Rolls owner will know how difficult it can be to source reasonably priced spare parts/service items. It doesn't help that the big V8 takes up so much of the space in that cavernous engine compartment when it comes to fitting them.

I may have mentioned before that I got The Old Girl for a song 4 years ago because a leaking 'B' bank exhaust manifold made her sound like a basket case in search of a new engine. A local back street (literally) 'expert' quoted £(GBP)150-300 for the job, After 3 days and £(GBP)15 I'd removed the manifold, dressed it back with an engineer's file (a new one included in the price) and replaced it with new gaskets. She positively purred Now I've got to do the same with the 'A' bank plus the boot on the steering detroit joint has split. I sent an enquiry to Flying Spares, as that's how their website works, but a week later they still haven't responded so I've ordered and paid for them from Montague & Company.

Incidentally I'm beginning to lose faith in this mechanic. He's assured me that you lot down there don't know what you're talking about with regard to Rolls/Bentley maintenance although he doesn't know how to change the detroit joint boot and suggested that the steering column might have to come out He also claims to be an excellent LPG fitter, but hasn't made any attempt to become a registered fitter, which would invalidate my insurance cover if I ever had an accident with a system fitted by him. Not the most glowing recommendation, is it? I think I'll stick to doing as much as possible myself.

Mark Aldridge
Experienced User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, 11 May, 2011 - 07:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,in the UK try Deemon Tweeks motorsport for trunking. I have their trunking in my Shadow,although it doesnot look as nice as that supplied in Aus.
Mark

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, 11 May, 2011 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've since recalled that there used to be a couple of suppliers that might have a good alternative to the OEM trunking, both based in Kingston Upon Hull. One was ARCO (formerly the Asbestos and Rubber Company) and the other was Norris The Rubber Man. There's a couple of Estima Owners Club members living there, so if a substitute is available I'm sure one of them would be happy to get some and fetch it along to any of the club meets we're both attending.

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2013 - 05:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just come across this thread whilst searching for paint types. I used the following trunking.

Spectre 9751

It extends to 40" and the end finishers are a perfect fit to the air intake plenum and air filter housing. Looks great.