Silver Shadow I access to 8 track fuse Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Silver Shadow I access to 8 track fuse « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Hunt
Yet to post message
Username: acebass

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, 31 March, 2011 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning all,

Matthew Hunt is the name. I'm a new RR owner, and new to this board.

I've got a '72 Shadow, SRH14223 - registered in Oz as a '74, dont know why, but it is.

Anyways, I'm really enjoying my new baby. I'm more of a hobbyist as opposed to a serious mechanic, but I am willing to have a go at any minor issues myself (and I am looking forward to attending an RROC self help day).

The first one, and this is a minor issue, but being a musician it has to be right, is that I would like to get the 8 track working (gotta be authentic).

At the moment it isn't and I am figuring that it might be the fuse, which according to the workshop manual is situated behind the 8 track itself. I think that to get to it I need to remove the interior trim cheek on the drivers side, but the manual doesnt really go into too much detail as to how it's attached etc.

Before I annihalate the interior of my beautiful car I thought it would be prudent to ask if anyone has any experience of removing this piece of trim, how it fastens, tools required etc.

Thanks in advance

Matthew
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, 31 March, 2011 - 07:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Matthew,

The triangular pieces on both sides of the centre console are held in by 3 or 4 trim clips which pop out of the holes in the frame.

You have to get a tool in through the join and gently feel for the clip's position and then lever them out. I have successfully used a small flat head screwdriver but a piece of stiff plastic like a ruler is probably better; or even a trim removal tool if you live near a car spares shop.

Here's a picture of the clips (which are attached to the back of the piece you're trying to remove)

It is possible if you bend the trim piece out of shape to straighten it because the back is metal. If you're careful though it should be possible to avoid this.

While you've got the piece out you might as well check that your cigar lighter illumination globe is working - a bit of a finger stretch but it's in a little sprung cage on the side of the lighter at the bottom of all the aircon switches.

cheers,

Jeff