Turbo R springs on my Shadow? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Turbo R springs on my Shadow? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Degering
Yet to post message
Username: david_degering

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2011 - 01:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,
This is my first post here, so far I’ve been sticking to the German RR Forum. I hope you’re not going to shoot me for that ;-)

I’ve got a 1976 Silver Shadow I with an LPG system. I recently changed the rear springs to new ones. Except for the rust here and there she is working fine and my only car. A true daily driver.

Well recently I got the chance to drive a Bentley Eight. When cornering, or taking on a roundabout the car (or more its Front) seemed to stay perfectly level.

My car on the other hand dives in quite a lot, when cornering. (front springs were never changed)

Now someone recently offered me some parts off a low mileage 1991 Bentley Turbo R.
I was wondering if it makes any sense, or if it’s possible, to take the Torsion Bar and the front springs from that car? Are those parts compatible?
Thanks, and greetings from Luxembourg
/David

Daniel Diewerge
Experienced User
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2011 - 05:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David, welcome to this forum, without any doubt the number one forum on a worldwide scale to discuss RR/B issues! I would start by installing the Turbo Rs front springs first and only because they are newer/fresher than yours are. If I remember well, the springs are not much different between all the different models. In my opinion you will only spoil the fantastic ride of your Shadow with the Turbo Rs stabilizer (if they do fit. We will have to wait for more competent forum members to answer that question). Together with the front one, you will also have to install the Turbo Rs rear stabilizer bar, otherwise the balance of your suspension setup would be greatly compromised. Cheers Sebastian

Mark Aldridge
Experienced User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2011 - 07:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
I have been using a Turbo R front anti rollbar and Bilstein dampers alround on my 1975 Shadow 1 for several years. Ride is a little firmer than standard, but cornering is improved considerably.The springs are standard originals.
Mark

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 720
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2011 - 07:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome David, (can I say that? with me not being from Oz?)

Anti-roll bars make an amazing difference when cornering and do most of the work of transforming the R-R's suspension. Front and rear a must really.

Springs not so much, especially as the Regal (but soft) ride in straight lines is what most people associate with a R-R.

Are they Non active dampers? Did you get them as well?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 721
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2011 - 07:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark. Snap! :-)

David Degering
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2011 - 09:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the warm welcome!

So Mark, you didn’t install the Turbo R's rear stabilizer bar as Sebastian is suggesting, right? The front anti roll bar fitted without any adjustments?

Incredible, what were the chances of finding someone that already did what I plan to!

I think the Car the parts are from had active dampers(1991) so I didn’t ask about the dampers jet, since I figured they would never fit.
So, Paul you think the rear anti roll bar will fit as well?

Ok, I’m going to fit the Roll bars then! Don’t know about the front springs jet. If anyone know if they are harder or in any other way different to shadow springs please let me know.
I will let you know about the difference I feel!
Thanks guys
/David

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2011 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

See the thread under Miscellaneous named “ Body Roll, Ride and Antiroll Bars “ and note the pictures.

The rear antiroll bar is not such a good idea on a Silver Shadow as they are notoriously tail-happy until the front is uprated. The 32mm front Turbo R antiroll bar is a must for an SY as you have discovered. Important is a custom linkage as the original SY linkage is rubber mounted – see the pictures in the thread. Without the proper uprated linkages the full benefit of the Turbo R antiroll is lost. In fact, uprated linkages alone have the same effect as changing the antiroll bar alone. The Turbo R linkage is solid but at a right-angle so will not fit, and Crewe never produced a solid-type linkage to suit an SY or early SZ. I have made up the correct parallel solid type to suit. Best for the rear on a UK car is to fit the Australian-spec springs, and try it with the original antiroll bar. Australian-spec SY cars originally never have a rear antiroll bar, but even then they are dangerously skittish with the original soft front antiroll bar, even with their stiffer front springs. I must say that our T-Series is far better without the rear antiroll bar and with the 32mm Turbo R front bar. A 34mm Continental T antiroll bar would be a bit too aggressive on an SZ, and would definitely need a standard UK-Spec rear antiroll bar. I suggest that it is very unwise to consider stiffening the rear antiroll bar on a UK-spec SY even with a 34mmj front antiroll bar and stiffer front springs.

So, in summary, ideal is:

Australian-spec springs all round
Front: 32mm Turbo R antiroll bar with Turbo R grade custom linkages
No rear antiroll bar
Boge dampers in good condition. Bilsteins are cheap and cheerful and will do.

RT.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 723
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2011 - 09:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, I think you'll find quite a few that have done similar mods, especially if you do some searches as Richard suggests.

Harvey Bailey started to do suspension mod kits back in the 70's which transformed the early cars. Clouds Included.

The only thing I'd add is that personally we never use Boge on a Shadow any more. They were far too patchy on quality control and tend to develop 'boggling' very quickly, or even straight out of the box.

Bilsteins were developed by Harvey Baileys and are a much better option IMHO.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2011 - 09:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, a truce on Harveys, Boge and Bilstein. They are all good stuff and copy eachother were the truth be exposed. H-B had a good look Downunder before doing their expensive tail-happy kit by the way. Boge dampers are now made in Lebanon.

Mark Aldridge
Experienced User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2011 - 06:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, if you do not already read T1 topics from Bill Coburn on this site then I thoroughly recomend it.The advice on this forum from Paul ,Richard and Bill and many others is invaluable and this forum actively supports the DIY owner. Many times I have regretted not taking the plunge and moving "Down Under". Now too old and "not wanted".
Mark

David Degering
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2011 - 05:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks everyone!
I’ve been reading The incredible Tee-One Topics, and even most of the threads in this Forum. Seems that I missed the thread named “ Body Roll, Ride and Antiroll Bars “.

For now I’ve got the front and rear Anti Roll bars, plus the front springs off the Turbo R. I’m going to fit the Front Springs and Roll Bar only, as suggested. If I’m not happy, I shall add the rear bar and drive a tail happy Shadow.
Concerning the dampers: I think the option for me are Bilsteins (cheap and cheerful). But that’s not going to happen till later this year.

And concerning the Ideal setup: When changing the rear springs I read about the recommendation to get “Australian-spec springs”. But on the phone to the main parts dealers in Europe [UK/NL] nobody had anything. Shipping from Australia was clearly too expensive.

Can’t wait to see the improvement!
Thanks
/David

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2011 - 05:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brabo may not have heard of Australian or Colonial springs. You will see them in the spare parts catalogue. www.rrtechnical.info