Steering free play Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Steering free play « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
Frequent User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2011 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Bentley T1 SBH 17291 has some steering free play I have adjusted the box down the bottom of the steering column not much improvement.Can someone advise is there any thing I can do.I have read Bill Cs T1 Topics on the matter and cannot find any other adjustment,please advise
Barry B

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2011 - 01:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The small Detroit joint at the bottom of the steering column can wear on these cars. If it is badly worn as they often are, then there can be shocking free play. In other words, do establish whether the free play is before, inside or after the steering box.

RT.

Barry Brears
Frequent User

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2011 - 03:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard the free play is before the steering box if one gets their hand on the steering shaft or column just before the steering box you can feel the free play.Richard just as an aside I'm moving to Tasmania I've bought a small miners cottage on the west coast in Queenstown.
Barry

Barry Brears
Frequent User

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, 23 March, 2011 - 03:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard what does a detroit joint look like is it something we shouldn't smoke

Barry Brears
Frequent User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, 24 March, 2011 - 05:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK I know what a Detroit Joint is,after talking to Neil Chapman it seems the rubber coupling on the lower steering column needs replacing.Has anyone replaced this if so how difficult is the job and any tips I would be grateful.

Barry

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 719
Posted on Thursday, 24 March, 2011 - 07:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry.

I'd go for the two bolts at the top of the column, then mark the position of the detroit joint and undo the 4 bolts. You can then do it much more easily on the bench.

A jubilee clip around the rubber coupling can help you align the bolts.