Central locking Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Central locking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gabriël Viljoen
New User
Username: gabriel

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 14 April, 2004 - 06:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The central locking of my (recently bought) 1971 Silver Shadow is not working properly. The switch on the driver's door opens and closes this door, and only opens the passenger door. The switch on the passenger door opens and closes only this door. Neither of the switches operates the rear doors. I do not have an owners manual to see how it is supposed to work.

Is a solenoid fitted to the trunk as well (does this form part of the central locking system, or do I have to lock / unlock in manually).

What is the purpose of the red button in the glove box? Does this have something to do with the central locking? The wiring diagrams shows a manual reset button for the central locking. Is this it? When do I use it? Do I need to press it once, or must I keep it depressed for a few seconds?

I got wiring diagrams from Robert Chapman yesterday. I will have a look at the wiring over the weekend.

Does anyone have suggestions? Please feel free to post a message, or e-mail me at gabriel@exceed.co.za.

Gabriël

Gabriël Viljoen
New User
Username: gabriel

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 02 June, 2004 - 01:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I managed to locate all the troubling spots in my central locking system. I have drawn up a short document on how I went about locating the problems.

Please contact me if you are interest and I will e-mail it to you.

Regards
Gabriel
gabriel@exceed.co.za

Martin Taylor
Frequent User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, 02 June, 2004 - 09:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 72 Shadow and have been down the same road.
There is one solenoid in each door, none in the boot as it is designed to be locked seperatly.
They are all wired in parallel but draw sufficiently high current that if they start to jam mechanically the impedance of the wiring loom will cause them to stall.
Each unit can be tested seperatly by unplugging that particular door plug and applying a high current source.
If one unit sticks the others will have less power available so disconnecting one faulty one may get the rest working.
The solenoids fail as the plastic bushing around the shafts dries out and crumbles jamming the mechanism.
Martin
http://members.rennlist.com/martintaylor

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, 03 June, 2004 - 02:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As Gabriel an I have found, the original end stop wasgers inside the solenoids on the plunger shafts are to blame in most cases. They become sticky with time, especially if someone tries to lubricate the solenoid.

For a permanent fix, you need to open up the solenoid, clean it thoroughly and replace the washers. Gabriel used a neoprene rubber washer as replacements to give a softer end stop, whilst I opted for a fibre washer on top of a rubber washer. The fibre washer cannot become sticky with age, but equally a brass washer on top of a rubber one may be better. I haven't had a stuck solenoid for 15 years on our '72 T-Series. I did all four door solenoids even though only one stuck and one was temperamental. I have never seen a damaged nylon plunger bushing by the way.

By contrast. Yorks replaced no less than seven sticky solenoids in the car's first five years at great expense.

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.191
Posted on Thursday, 03 June, 2004 - 06:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Reading all this makes me so glad that my 1970 Shadow (SRH8058) doesnt have central locking nor cruise control both of arguable value and a constant source of irritation due to FTW (Failure To Work). I know of a innovative Shadow owner who had a piece of 5/8in.dia.wooden dowelling with a tipped "point" at one end (pivoted on accelerator) and a small steel "U" shaped "stirrup" at the other end which fitted snugly into the "pull" handle on the door trim facing. A knurled adjustment knob (within the threaded stirrup) conveniently altered the effective length to increase/decrease speed etc. When you depressed the brake pedal, the pointy end simply fell down (and off) the accelerator,as that end was "weighted" due to the ingenious incorporation of a small "pen" type torch neatly secured near the point, this serving to assist location (on the pedal) during times of night driving. The initial "base"length had been precisely calculated, setting accelerator depression to provide a highway speed of 100k and one simply kicked it (sideways) "off" the accelerator to disengage, offering it back for "resume" etc. Maintenence free of course, save a drop of dashpot oil on the threaded knob once in a while. But back to my point about these dubious OEM "features" in the first place, being mindful of our American friends who are wont to say, "If it aint there it cant break". How very true. Keep it simple I say.

Daren
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 217.162.173.122
Posted on Thursday, 03 June, 2004 - 07:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now it is time for you to put that bottle of whiskey back in the cupboard, wash the glasses, and go to bed.

Martin Taylor
Frequent User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, 03 June, 2004 - 08:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
You describe the cruise control method still used on most motor bikes.
I enjoy fixing things like this on these cars it makes me feel as if the car is really mine when I've worked on every system in it, and improved it where possible.
Fantastic technology for its age
Martin
http://members.rennlist.com/martintaylor

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.252
Posted on Friday, 04 June, 2004 - 07:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you gentlemen. Perhaps I should have mentioned that the person who devised the poor mans "cruise control" was a teetotaller who had been a prominent designer of artificial limbs and upon his retirement, modified cars (with auto trans.) for operation by paraplegics. This typically called for some form of hand operated throttle arrangement (and brake actuation) which isnt anything new, since many older cars featured hand operated throttle controls which allowed maintenence of selected engine revolutions etc. Indeed, as I recall, the legendary race driver, Mike Hawthorn had such an arrangement in his own "Jaguar" 3.4, not for racing (due to ever changing track speeds) but rather for sustained open road cruising/touring etc. Perhaps he was a pioneer of modern day cruise control systems many of which continue to be problematic in operation/service etc. I didnt design the "dowel stick" nor did I say that I liked it, anymore than I (or anyone else!) should feel obliged to accept or "like", BMWs gargantuan V12 "Phaeton". A REAL Rolls-Royce? Surely not.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, 30 November, 2004 - 06:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

More Rubbish From J.G.Dare Of letter fame.

whunter
Grand Master
Username: whunter

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, 30 November, 2004 - 09:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Attention:
Patrick Lockyer.
If you can say nothing on topic, say nothing.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, 30 November, 2004 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whunter.NOTE the topic is central locking.
Read my reply RUBBISH to J.D.Dare of letter fame.
I have said nothing on the topic.
Confirming in my mind another highjacking of the original topic by Dare!

whunter
Grand Master
Username: whunter

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, 30 November, 2004 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

>>>He starts here>>>
Reading all this makes me so glad that my 1970 Shadow (SRH8058) doesn’t have central locking nor cruise control both of arguable value and a constant source of irritation due to FTW (Failure To Work).

>>>And answers questions here>>>
Thank you gentlemen. Perhaps I should have mentioned that the person who devised the poor mans "cruise control" was a teetotaler who had been a prominent designer of artificial limbs and upon his retirement, modified cars (with auto trans.) for operation by paraplegics.

He meandered off the topic in the first post, and answered off topic questions in the second.
Perfectly acceptable, within reason, and I first heard that story from my great grandfather.
I am a Master Mechanic; extra gadgets ARE a source of irritation when restoring a car.

Your response appears belligerent and rude.

RE: RUBBISH to J.D.Dare of letter fame.
Are you without sin too cast the first stone???
You said nothing on the topic.
You would have been better off to say nothing in this case.
High jacking a thread or topic is not my concern or yours, Moderators have that responsibility.

Please; less confrontation and more cooperation, we each have our prejudice on technical matters.
Nobody needs to be insulted or assaulted over this.

We RROC (A) members are preserving, protecting and passing on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley heritage.
Well reasoned debate with other members is good; the converse is sad but true.

Have a great day.
whunter

Thank you for your comments which are absolutely correct - as the incidence of sarcasm and general disrespect has shown no signs of abating and is not appreciated by most participants; I advise that, contrary to the Australian ethos of giving everyone a fair go free of censorship wherever possible, all content not directly relevant to the topic will be removed from now on.

I regret that this has become necessary and hope the incidence of BLUE type such as this diminishes rapidly.

David Gore

(Message edited by david_gore on November 30, 2004)