Starter Motor Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Starter Motor « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
Frequent User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, 07 December, 2010 - 06:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bentley T1 SBH 17291.You are not going to beleive this but my starter motor has jammed and I can't unjam it,so it means off to the Auto Electrician.Now the S.M. be it stuffed and parts unable to get then a new one would be the go I see from previous posts Nippondenso is reccomended if so does anyone have a model or part number please.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 700
Posted on Tuesday, 07 December, 2010 - 06:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I guesws you've turned the engine over by hand and made sure that the battery is in perfect condition?

Nippondenso is definately the way forward ~ Sorry but I don't know where you'd get one out there.

Barry Brears
Frequent User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, 07 December, 2010 - 06:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,Yes mate done all of that a model number for the Nippondenso would be good I'm sure the number would appply out here.

Barry

Brian Crump
Frequent User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, 07 December, 2010 - 06:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry - you may like to have a look in the Club's Glove Box directory and you will find people whom I know to be fitting Nippondenso starter motors to all types of vehicles - including a Ghost or so...
http://nsw.rroc.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=10&Itemid=61
You don't need to be a member to view the Directory - but there is also a membership application available if you navigate around the site.
Regards,
Brian Crump

(Message edited by brian_crump on 07 December 2010)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Tuesday, 07 December, 2010 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry/ The Nippondenso starter is available from R A Chapman in Melbourne. Give him a call and have your chassis number ready along with your credit card. The Nippon is just so much an improvement.

03 9729 3997 is the number

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, 08 December, 2010 - 02:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry, are you sure that the motor has jammed and just isn't playing up? There's a tendency for engine oil, dripping from a warped gasket in the tappet cover on that side, to gunge up the power lead & earth contacts on the solenoid. When it happened to me I just removed them, cleaned them up and returned them to fix the starting problem. To prevent it happening again I also wrapped the solenoid in plastic so that I can replace the offending gasket at a later date (when the snow drifts have melted - some time next Spring!)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Wednesday, 08 December, 2010 - 01:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Nippondenso starter is not entirely generic, and is made especially for Crewe. I must say that I am not at all convinced about the hype.

The Crewe part number for the best Nippondenso starter to fit your car is UE46348. That’s the 3-bolt starter as originally fitted to the 20,000-series SZ cars. It has a 3.2HP motor, uprated for the original 2.6HP starter with the same part number.

There are aftermarket ones available, but they usually have a much smaller electric motor and a greater gear reduction to compensate. They have a specially-made mounting plate to suit Crewe cars. http://www.britishstarters.com/ will sell you one for US$295. It has a 1.9HP motor and a greater gear reduction than the Crewe item. It works OK, but you have to let go of the key in a hurry or the engine quickly overruns the starter speed once the engine fires. Cheap, but poor value for money.

I have a http://www.britishstarters.com/ animal in my Turbo R but regret it for the above reasons. The guy who runs the outfit promised me a year ago that he would find a 3.2HP motor to adapt, but I am still waiting. Promises, promises. As a result, I have just bought a brand-new genuine UE46348 from the UK to fit when I can be bothered, as the steering rack needs to be dropped on my car to fit it. The /www.britishstarters.com/ will then be a spare for the Turbo R or T-Series. I won’t touch an aftermarket one again.

Also, my experience with the Lucas starters is better than with the Nippondenso. People will disagree with me I know, but my last Nippondenso, the original in my Turbo R, dropped its guts completely without warning a few years ago. The Lucas motors don’t do that, and are readily repairable. Everyone swears by a Nippondenso, but to me it is at best an even bet. The Lucas starter in our T has never missed a beat, nor has the 56-year-old and 400,000-mile Lucas starter in my R-Type. Sure, the Nippondenso will start with a practically flat battery, but tends to lock in when the battery is too low. The Lucas will also lock in as yours has, but again is often the result of a low battery.

Old junked Nippondenso on the left. Britishstarters.com on the right

Schrapnel from my dud Nippondenso.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Wednesday, 08 December, 2010 - 02:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Old junked Nippondenso on the left. Britishstarters.com on the right

Schrapnel from my dud Nippondenso. Looks like Batam Island after an A380 flew by with Trent 900 engines.