Air filter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Air filter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Serge PONTES
Experienced User
Username: serrgio

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, 04 April, 2004 - 06:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Everybody !
I hope all goes fine for you and your car(s)...
I'm working on mine (1975 shadow 1 SRH22789) and try to do some little maintenance...
I have a problem with the air filter: on shémas from handbooks, air filter is in two parts...but when I receive the new (UE36200X, so correct model) and open mine, I've seen that it is in a big once part and seems to be a little too long to be removed !!! spring of the bonnet system stop it and 1 or 2 cm are staying inside and I can't remove...sure, the new has the same size and will not pass !!!
what is the solution ? Is there a trick ? does exist air filters in two parts and should have by one of them and "destroy" the old to remove it ?
thanks for answer.
by
seRRgio

denis altenburger
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 205.188.116.76
Posted on Sunday, 04 April, 2004 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Serge,

On my 1980 Shadow II, I had similar problem. I managed to wiggle things enough that I got the cover out of the way and was able to wiggle the element enough to get it out. I guess the key is the "wiggle" factor when removing and replacing.

denis

KC
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 168.210.90.232
Posted on Monday, 05 April, 2004 - 04:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Serge

Scroll up to my previous posts "Air Filter Mystery". I had the same problem. The old two-piece filter has been replaced by the one-piece filter you have.

Regards
KC

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, 05 April, 2004 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rolls-Royce used to use the term 'with a little ingenuity'and this applies to the filter element. You need to be quite forceful in putting the new version in and also push the bonnet lid up hard. If you reckon that is hard try putting a new fan belt on a Mark VI Bentley!

Serge PONTES
Experienced User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, 07 April, 2004 - 05:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,
thanks for your advoices.
I tryed to remove the old, but even removing big air intake and cover, and trying with bonnet in all position (up hard, half open, etc)...nothing to do on my car. until....
I saw that may the little air intake for heating/AC just under the big engine air intake constrit a little the space under the air filter way..I decide to remove it too...and it goes perfectly, quiet without no problem !!!
so may it will be the solution on some other cars (my is one of the last shadow 1: end of 1975; SRH22789)
thanks for all advoices wich have me helped to find the right way in my case....
now, I'll try to flush my cooling system (changing thermostat), change my sparks plugs (I haven't find yet in France the right model, but I guess "champion N14YC" are aviable), check ignition cables and distributor, and when I'll be abble to work under the car (my garage is tight and just for parking), change engine's oil and oil filter...somes advoices or warning about the way to do all this (principaly about coolant system or oil filter?) How can I get the first spark plugs (A1 and A2) ? should I remove the air intake to have more space ? I haven't bought the tool to remove the sparks plug: what king should I buy ? one with one articulation and a very long one piece rod (for the B7 and B8 to pass under the brake reservoir for exemple), or a rod in two pieces with another articulation, for the A1 for exemple ?
thanks for all...
by
seRRgio

Jonas Trachsel
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 212.60.62.246
Posted on Wednesday, 07 April, 2004 - 09:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Sergio

Please visit the Swammelstein site on SS1 and SS2. I just dropped on this one yesterday and there is good article on how to change the spark plugs. Seems to be not quite easy on one bank.

Happy motoring!

Jonas

Serge PONTES
Experienced User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, 07 April, 2004 - 09:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jonas,
thanks; I'll have a look ASAP. yes; sure; I guess that on the A bank, it will be not so easy...that's the reason I ask before starting without be abble to ending with the car in my garage !!!
by
seRRgio