Blue bulb covers, foam donuts and heat Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Blue bulb covers, foam donuts and heat « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Young
Yet to post message
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2010 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently went through SBH37222's dash putting all the lights right. There are 9 small bulbs with blue covers: 3 around the switchbox and 3 in each of the left and right lower fascias.

The ones in the lower fascias have foam donuts around the bulb holders, I suspect to block stray light from the base of the bulb. Over time two of the donuts had presumably been lost and replaced with short pieces of rubber hose.

And it was exactly those two which also had discoloured and opaque blue bulb covers. That's not a huge sample space, so it could just be coincidence, but I expect that a close-fitting rubber hose causes the bulbs to overheat and cooks the bulb covers.

I got some replacement used donuts from Paul Yorke, but if you can't find them then a loose-fitting length of shrink-wrap tubing might be a better substitute than rubber hose.

Jeff.

(Message edited by david_gore on 26 October 2010)