Thermostats Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Thermostats « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
Frequent User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2010 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would like to replace my thermostat are they fairly universal or do I need to get the genuine part for my T1 Bentley.

Barry

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 679
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2010 - 06:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry - they are completely NON universal.

Get the lead shot one to be on the safe side. £35 I'm afraid, but well spent if it needs one.

Barry Brears
Frequent User

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, 29 October, 2010 - 04:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,In my impatience I took the old thermostat out and because it was buggered I threw it away.Ok Bill Coburn said in a previous thread don't drive without one as the engine will overheat,well I did and it did overheat.The strange thing was I couldn't get the engine to run anymore than 2 minutes after I had waited for 1/2 an hour to let it cool down and replaced some of the lost coolant.On a couple of occasions even the solenoid wouldn't kick in the starter but that could have been the position of the gear lever I don't really know.So the car was brought home by tow truck and is now sitting on the front grass verge and I haven't touch it.Can you throw some light on all these strange goings on.
Regards Barry

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Friday, 29 October, 2010 - 08:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A thermostat would have cost you less than the tow truck.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 683
Posted on Saturday, 30 October, 2010 - 08:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry, you will need to do more tests.

Fuel coming up to the carbs?

Getting a spark at the spark plugs? What year is your car? Does it fire once or try to run or run backwards after cranking but ONLY as you turn the ignition off?

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 163
Posted on Saturday, 30 October, 2010 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The overheating could have warped one or both of the carburetor float swivel arms/pins which could prevent fuel entering the float chambers when they've reached the shut off point. After that they could drop again when the engine shudders to a halt and refill, but by now the engine has stopped and would have to be restarted just for the whole process to start again.

Barry Brears
Frequent User

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, 31 October, 2010 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,Plenty of spark fuel getting to the carbs,I have cleaned out the rear fuel filter and replaced with a new one,there was some foreign matter in there so would assume this whole problem was dirty fuel,apart from the thermostat of course.The car seems to run ok although havn't taken it for a run yet waiting on a new thermostat to arrive.Jan is what you are talking about the retainer that sits on top of the float chamber,have looked at the exploded view and that is what I have come up with.

Barry

Chris Browne
Experienced User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, 31 October, 2010 - 08:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Barry,
If you have had or are having a problem with dirty fuel, don't forgot to check the two small filters in the housings located next to each carburettor. There are small paper filters in there which are the last line of defence for the carburettors. To remove them, remove the two cheese head screws from the tops of the housings and then screw a 7/16" UNF bolt into the tapped hole in the middle of the cover and ease it out. The cover may be quite tight as there is an O ring seal in there.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Chris

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, 31 October, 2010 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Intermittent running is quite common when a fuel filter is at the end of its serviceable life: Something I've experienced in trucks and cars, both petrol and diesel. However since this has occurred just after an episode of overheating it would have to be just coincidence for it to be the filter(s).
If we go back to 'first principles' we have to consider the fact that all engines which produce as much heat as the Rolls Royce V8 can suffer from carburetor problems unless steps are taken to insulate them from this heat. When the engine has recently overheated it wouldn't be much of a stretch of the imagination to assume that any insulation could have been overwhelmed causing some slight damage to the more sensitive components inside the carburetors. This doesn't have to be to any such components that are unique to RR/Bs or SU carbs, but could happen to any carb fitted to any engine.
I can only suggest a strip down of the carbs - perhaps along with a full overhaul while you're at it - to see what might have been damaged during the period of overheating. Copies of the full manual (from here), "The Shadow Owners' Companion" or a perusal of Tee-One Topics could shed even more light on the subject.
Good luck in getting your Old Girl fighting fit and back on the road again.

By the way, Chris. What model RR/B is in your picture? The carb you show is different to the ones fitted to The Old Girl (SRH24518) as hers have a largeish float chamber in the position you point out.

(Message edited by Got_One on 31 October 2010)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 684
Posted on Monday, 01 November, 2010 - 03:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just in case you don't know - a car starved of fuel and running weak will also run much hotter than with the correct mixture.

(Not convinced this is the problem, but just a little bit of knowledge for you)

Chris Browne
Experienced User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, 01 November, 2010 - 04:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jan,
It is a late 1979 Silver Shadow 2 (SRH37131) which were fitted with slightly smaller SU HIF7 carburettors. They helped to reduce emissions, I think.
Kind regards,
Chris

Barry Brears
Frequent User

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, 01 November, 2010 - 05:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Everyone,Thankyou all for your inputs my car a1974 T1 Bentley SBH 17291 I think has different carbs to yours Chris but it still has filters and they are in the fuel line connection to the top of the float chamber.A strip down of the carbs Jan is probably a good idea as this car was poorly maintained by previous owners and that is very evident.
Regards Barry

Barry Brears
Frequent User

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, 02 November, 2010 - 05:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Everyone,The one thing about TEE ONE Topics is there is no search engine.Anyway fitted the new thermostat now I find the coolant is leaking from the water pump area is this a problem that is unique to RR/B having read something previous threads that seems to be the case ???.So have ordered a new water pump while they are on special with one of the UK suppliers,also have ordered parts to overhaul carbs.This old girl is certainly a new lease of life its a pity we couldn't do it with our bodies but we can with some organs !!!! modern tech wonderful stuff.
Barry

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, 02 November, 2010 - 08:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry - Just about every car except maybe Beetles leak from their water pump eventually.

If you look at them they are made with a hole so you can spot the leak before it ruins the bearings.

One SERIOUS problem you can find on R-R Spirits etc is water leaks from the pump or engine that do not empty the header tank and put a low coolant light on.

The water is supposed to expand into the tank when hot, then suck it back in as it cools. If you have a leak, the cooling system can pull air in through the leak instead of drawing water from the expansion tank. This will leave you with a false impression that the cooling system is full when it can be bone dry. Not such a problem from pressurised expansion tanks but something to beware of.

Always check the level at the top of the radiator.